Logo

Hard shifting

HarryL

My Tohatsu 6 4-stroke is becoming hard to shift. It happened once and I couldn’t get it out of forward. The next morning it was working fine again. It is now about a week later and it is difficult again. It says in gear fine. It still shifts but with a lot of difficulty. Forcing can’t be good. Service manual says check 1) detente ball; 2) shift rod; and 3) clutch. Any thoughts on how to check without disassembling?

What is your RPM? If it's too high, it will be difficult to pull out of gear. You did not mention whether you have an MFS6A2, B or C. They have different shifting systems. Have you lubricated the shift lever shaft recently? How is it going in and out of R?

Sorry for late response. I have been out
of WiFi coverage. Model is MS6B. Shifting problem was at low rpm.

Problem is gone after spraying fresh water into gap at shifter lever and bushing. I also sprayed a little WD40. So hopefully problem has been just dirt or dried salt particles.

There are two o-rings on the shift lever where it passes into the motor. That shaft must be greased. In order to disconnect, you need to pop off the power head. You could disconnect the shift rod coupler to see whether the issue is with the lever or in the LU.

Back