Logo

Mercruiser/Wellcraft Exhaust Manifold Access Question

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Gang

Its been a while. I have a potential customer who would like his
exhaust manifolds and elbows replaced. They are RWC and long overdue.

The boat is a 93 Wellcraft Coastal 2800 with twin 5.7 Mercs inboards and there is about a 1/2 inch clearance between the outboard exhaust manifolds and the water tank/holding tanks.

i can’t lift the deck. It appears it may have to be cut. Am I missing something?

Have any of you tackled one of these?

Mark? Ricardo? Bob?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Jon

I take care of an identical boat with those features and have pulled manifolds and risers and engines.
First drain and remove the hoses. Next remove the elbows. Using a ratchet and short socket reach down and remove all but 1 bolt. Using the bolts from the elbow, insert 2 and tie a cord to them to lift the manifold when you remove the last bolt.
While you have the manifold off I would suggest replacing the sparkplugs.
Check your messages

Last edited:
Hi Gang

Its been a while. I have a potential customer who would like his
exhaust manifolds and elbows replaced. They are RWC and long overdue.

The boat is a 93 Wellcraft Coastal 2800 with twin 5.7 Mercs inboards and there is about a 1/2 inch clearance between the outboard exhaust manifolds and the water tank/holding tanks.

i can’t lift the deck. It appears it may have to be cut. Am I missing something?

Have any of you tackled one of these?

Mark? Ricardo? Bob?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Jon

Can you please be more specific?

Hi Ricardo

I can remove the engine hatches but the deck is glassed to the gunnels. No more access room than the hatches provide.
Unless I make the hole bigger.

I could lift the motors slightly and bring them closer to the centerline of the boat. But will pass on the job if this is my only option.

Too old for that kind of stuff and I can’t find a good helper.

Few people are interested in becoming a boat mechanic, at least in this area.

Many of the marinas up here want 3 mil liability just to get past the front gate. Then the games begin.

Times are a changing....

Ricardo,

Thanks as always.

Jon Allen

Back