Logo

2011 BF225 overheat alarm on fast take off only

805bigdrake

2011 HONDA 225hp with 1,200 hours

Whenever I need to go QUICKLY on take off (pull up a skier or leaving harbor quickly) my overheat alarm goes off and goes into safety mode. The engine is around 2700 rpm when the alarm goes on. The engine never turns off and I only need to wait 15 seconds or so before everything goes back to normal. It's weird that if I take off SLOWLY, I never have issues. By the way, I never go beyond 4100 rpm. So, this only happens when I start off quickly. I explained this to my authorized Honda marine mechanic and Honda distributor (and owner) and he said it's probably the thermostats and I need a major tune-up.

So I spent $1,400.00 on major tune up: Adjust valves, new engine oils, new internal water/gas filters, new impeller, new thermostats, new spark plugs etc).

Got my engine back and it still does the same thing. Only when I go quickly as when I pull up a skier.

If I never start off quickly as when I pull up a skier, the overheat alarm never goes off and I have no issues. I have asked everyone if they have ever heard of this.

I would appreciate any help. I'm stuck. Thank you.

2011 HONDA 225hp with 1,200 hours

Whenever I need to go QUICKLY on take off (pull up a skier or leaving harbor quickly) my overheat alarm goes off and goes into safety mode. The engine is around 2700 rpm when the alarm goes on. The engine never turns off and I only need to wait 15 seconds or so before everything goes back to normal. It's weird that if I take off SLOWLY, I never have issues. By the way, I never go beyond 4100 rpm. So, this only happens when I start off quickly. I explained this to my authorized Honda marine mechanic and Honda distributor (and owner) and he said it's probably the thermostats and I need a major tune-up.

So I spent $1,400.00 on major tune up: Adjust valves, new engine oils, new internal water/gas filters, new impeller, new thermostats, new spark plugs etc).

Got my engine back and it still does the same thing. Only when I go quickly as when I pull up a skier.

If I never start off quickly as when I pull up a skier, the overheat alarm never goes off and I have no issues. I have asked everyone if they have ever heard of this.

I would appreciate any help. I'm stuck. Thank you.

I know this is an old post, but I've recently had the same issue. I replaced the poppit valves and the thermostats, but have not yet had a chance to see if the problem is resolved. Anyone else seen this problem? 2007 BF255 500 hrs.

Back