Logo

Pump leaking after rebuild sherwood

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Not sure what's going on here, the diagram is quite unclear as to orientation..

Only thing I can see keeping water out is the oring molded in the impeller, no way the retainer is sealing water out. Seal that came in kit went all the way back next to bearings but the water should be blocked before weep holes imo..

Ideas?

20190308-085337.jpg

This is the pump and seals as Installed per diagram

If I had a rotary dual lip seal 1-1/4 for. 5/8 shaft I'd seriously just pop that in, this design makes no sense imo.. why all the nonsense with springs etc.. nothing wrong with a plain seal like volvo, etc pumps..

Last edited:
assuming this is an e-35 pump, the seal shouldn't "go all the way back to the bearing"....its a two piece design which is why the spring is used to maintain pressure. Did you put all the pieces in, and in the correct orientation?

where is the water leaking from?

The impeller doesn't have an oring….I think you will find radial slots in the ring on the ends of the hub...

how much radial play does the shaft have?

If you have the space in front of the harmonic balancer/pulley (key word "if"), you should be able to go with a Johnson F5B-9 or F6B-9 crankshaft pump.
The crankshaft mounted pump also eliminates any belt side load against the shaft bearings.

assuming this is an e-35 pump, the seal shouldn't "go all the way back to the bearing"....its a two piece design which is why the spring is used to maintain pressure. Did you put all the pieces in, and in the correct orientation?

where is the water leaking from?

The impeller doesn't have an oring….I think you will find radial slots in the ring on the ends of the hub...

how much radial play does the shaft have?

Hi thanks, i was referring to the circular "o-ring" integrated into the impeller at the base, its the only thing i can see offering a seal against the wear plate - as u can see in the pic the whole seal assembly gets held down via a circlip that sits beneath the impeller.. however no seal in the kit is large enough to actually seal correctly.

The only place a seal needs to be is between the impeller and the weep holes.. so when they drip you know the seal is bad, this seal went way back inside the housing up against the bearing and the hole where the shaft goes thru is wide open.

Im going to try track down a seal that will fit inside that hole (1-1/4 OD for 5/8 shaft) - seems hard to find, and just pop it in and be done.. all these dumb parts make no sense (rant over sorry but what a pandoras box design!).

Ricardo - im not too concerned about side loading, the bearings are designed for this and this pump style has one bearing in the rear and a brass sleeve bearing in the nose offering a stronger design than the rear mounted 2 bearing setup ive seen in other pumps by sherwood..

Either way - im not too concerned about side loads / etc - im concerned about the correct kit/seal issue..

fyi its leaking past the weep slots behind the wear plate before the rear bearing..

Can anyone ID this model? no numbers whatsoever.. or reference a kit perhaps? might message staycoolpumps (vendor) and ask them..

Cant tell what model pump it is by the picture but the seal looks like the same one I just replaced in my sherwood p101 pump.The seal is a carbon seal that I believe will outlast a lip seal by far.There is rebuild instructions on the sherwood website that I found very helpfull.I have found with raw water pumps if it needs anything more than an impeller then its best to rebuild the pump.Bad seals destroy bearings and vice versa.Hope this helps.

Back