Logo

1988 9.9 Johnson

Josey

I have a 88 Johnson 9.9 and replaced the water impeller and now I can not get the gear linkage back together the two screws that go in the brass piece I can not figure out how to put them back in any advice?

The connecter is to stay on the lower shift rod.-----Only one screw is taken out to drop the lower unit.------So put the coupling on the lower shift rod first.-----Line up the notch before putting screw into the hole to attach the upper shift rod.----Bend in rod faces forward too.

The trend is that the notch or slot in the shift rod doesn't get properly lined up before the installer tries to start the cap screw. The threads get damaged, usually on the cap screw as it hits the shift rod slot edges. Best to get a new stainless cap screw before the threads get messed up in the coupler. I cut a slot in the screw to use a flat blade screwdriver, not for tightening, but for ease of starting and later removal in the future. I get so many motors here where the cap screws are damaged, I have extra ones on hand. Another note, when removing the cap screw, if it seems to be binding, try moving the coupling on the shift rod to help alignment. Many screws are damaged when they are removed forcefully.

Sometimes you need to change the gears as well. If I recall, and this is going by memory, the lever needs to be in forward and the gears need to be in reverse. When you shove it back up the gears change to forward which allows for the shorter area for the shift rod.

Anyway, may not be the problem but never hurts to understand what is going on.

Upper shift rod is all the way DOWN.------Lower shift rod is all the way UP.------This gives you the most room to work to assemble this.------When it is properly assembled the shift will be correct.

Back