Logo

Power tilt works intermittenly

Kellygirl

I have a general question about the power tilt on a 1994 Force 90 hp. motor, mounted on a 1993 Spectrum 18 foot boat.
It seems that the power trim does not always work. The switch seems dead at times, and then it works at other times. This has caused major problems at the ramp when I could not raise the motor to pull out. One time I had to jack up the motor to relieve pressure to make the trim work. I don't know if it is the switch or the trim motor. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks. One more question...Same boat, how do you remove the throttle handle assembly from the boat when it has no visible screws? I am at my wits end with this thing. Thanks again.

Top mount or side mount shifter?
Top mount: The button you push in to shift for fast idle can be pried out and a screw can be accessed.
PICS??? that would help a lot.
Side mount: the button or on the bottom of the handle might be a set screw?
Again PICS??

The T@T not working?
They used 2 different types of T@T for the early 90's Forces.

Could be a bad connection?
The trim button on the handle, dirty connection,corroded contacts.
The relays for the system, again dirty connections,corroded contacts.
Intermittent operation: bad relays or solenoids.
Really need to know what T@T you have??
Pics of the T@T pump/motor, pics of the motor (all sides)with the cover off.

Thanks Jerryjerry05. You helped me out before and I appreciate it. The boat is currently under two feet of snow, so it is going to take a while to get pictures. The throttle control is a side mount with no visible screws. Never gave relays a thought. Just getting my ducks in a row before the thaw. You gave me some good direction to go in. I will (of course) let you know how I make out when I can get to the job. Appreciate the tips.

almost all trim systems use a T & T switch and relays/solenoids. power is supplied to the switch , the switch operates a relay/solenoid that operates the trim motor. Most if not all problems are caused by a bad ground

The statement "Most if not all problems are caused by a bad ground"
Depending on the year?? Most T@T problems are bad connections, bad relays/solenoids.
Then the electric motor can contribute to the mix.
If you had said, the connection? I would agree.

One guy on another site couldn't figure out why the T@T system did NOTHING???
He replaced the brushes, replaced the pump.
He finally figured out, after 2 weeks, that the wire to the motor(1986 Force) wasn't connected at the battery.
He'd installed the battery and put the battery on the end of the wire.
His boat was a 86 Bayliner with a very small battery compartment.

Thanks guys for commenting on my post. It has really helped. I have direction now, which I did not have before. As soon as the snow clears, I will be attacking the problem. I will let you know how it comes out, but it may take a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

HEY guys...I'm back. The snow has melted and I pulled the boat out of the woods. I played with the trim switch and found that the motor kicked in in both the up and down position, but did not move. Upon examining the the trim motor I found that the wires coming out of the motor going to the relays were dry rotted and exposed...badly. I had to do a fix on them last year, but now they got really worst. They did work when I found the problem last year, but not this year. A continuity check of the motor wire (disconnected from the relays) found that both wires were in bad shape. There is no hope for this wire.

Question: I know I have to replace the wire, but the motor looks new. Should I venture into taking the motor apart and running new wires, or should I replace the entire motor? I will try to cut out the bad section of wire and run a new section to the relays to see if that is the only problem first. New motors are quite expensive.

The part number I found for my unit is 18-6777, at least that is what I can figure out.

My motor is a 1993, 90 HP Force, Vin # OE 076888

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Hey Guys...I solved my own problem. I am going for the new motor. Hell of a lot easier on me and less stress. I found a reasonably priced one on the internet, and for as little as I use the boat, it should work out fine. You can disregard the above request. Thanks anyway.

Back