Logo

right timing for a 1995 4.3GL - 43APHUB

ach1982

Hello,
I've got a question about the right timing of my 4.3GL from 1995.
I know how to set the timining and I have the right shunt, but I have a problem to find the right timing.
I the literature I find different advices.
The Clymer manual says 0° TDC (89 octane) with shunt.
The Seloc manual says 5° ATDC with shunt.
The Volvo Penta manual also tells me to set it to 0°.

I'm a little bit confused now.

Can anybody help me?

What fuel octane can you use in your location? I have an older pre-vortec V6 and I've always used premium gas (93 octane) and set the timing at 6*BTDC. In my OMC manual it said to use 1* if you are using regular gas, and 6* for premium. Not sure if the newer ones like yours use a different spec. If the V/P manual is a factory manual and it covers that year engine I'd go with what they say. That is erring on the side of caution since less advance makes detonation less likely.

Here we have gas called "super" with 95 octane. This is what I use normally.
The manual is an original V/P from 07-1994. This is what I got from the pre-owner of the boat.

It is confusing, if you get different information in different manuals for the same engine.

Here we have gas called "super" with 95 octane. This is what I use normally.
The manual is an original V/P from 07-1994. This is what I got from the pre-owner of the boat.

It is confusing, if you get different information in different manuals for the same engine.

If you have an original dish piston 4.3 v6 Believe it or not, it will make more power on 87 octane fuel.

If you have an original dish piston 4.3 v6 Believe it or not, it will make more power on 87 octane fuel.

I trust you, but the "super" is our regular/standard gas. We can choose between "super", "E10" with 10% ethanol and "super plus".
"Super" and "E10" have 95 octane and "super plus" has 98 octane. So 95 octane is the lowest I can get here in germany.

It is an origninal 4.3GL without any changes.

Back