Logo

tight prop shaft

David Powell

I have a 2000 mastercraft maristar on vdrive w/ Hurth Vdrive unit.
The flange with the prop shaft is very tight and i can't turn it with my hand. i can turn the propeller but it is very tight.
Shouldn't the prop shaft be only lightly snug.??
Also, when i place the transmission in either forward of reverse, there is a rattling noise. This doesn't appear to be a problem but is this a drive plate issue.??
When in neutral, when i rev the engine a little, when it is returning to idle speed, the engine stumbles before it settles into it's idle.
What do i look for?? Transmission??
Appreciate any wisdom regarding these items.
I guess i am most concerned about the drive plate coming apart. The boat has 420 hours on it.

Engine: Rattle, check to see if the engine is running on all cylinders.

Shaft being tight, Loosen packing nut (if equipped) and see if it gets better, If not, unbolt coupler and see if it gets better. If it does not get better with either, it may be time to pull the shaft and take a look at everything, IE bent shaft, strut, Bearing to tight.

Thank you for your reply. This boat has been with me for two years and now i am getting into the finer details of restoring it to excellent condition. It is in great shape but has some things that need attention. For instance the voltmeter quit, i replaced it now the tach has quit. i have a new one coming. I will be putting a Hydrophase speed GPS speed controller in place of the flakey speedometer (petot) ... The Indmar engine is great...

Thank you for your reply. This boat has been with me for two years and now i am getting into the finer details of restoring it to excellent condition. It is in great shape but has some things that need attention. For instance the voltmeter quit, i replaced it now the tach has quit. i have a new one coming. I will be putting a Hydrophase speed GPS speed controller in place of the flakey speedometer (petot) ... The Indmar engine is great...
I bought it from a guy on Lake conroe, TX. Is this Dockside Marine on that lake?

Hi I got a 2011 outboard mercury four stroke 150 hp and the transsmission went bad , I ve been trying to do it myself since I got some experience on that so I get the new parts that are in bad shape to remplace de bad ones , I did remove the nut that hold the housyng and for some reazon the prop shaft got stoke .. it is complete loose but wont come out . any idea why ? thanks in advance. I am actually located in Central America so my English isnt good enough. hope you will understand me. regards.

Hi , Does anyone can help me ? am having problems installin a new tac and speedometer in my boat ( smartcraft )... the engine start just fine but when the ingine is on the tac shows a message LOST ENGINE COMMUNICATION instead to show me what it should do and is the same thing with the speedometer either . any aidea what I should do to get this fix ? thanks in advance.

Back