Logo

Are Merc and Tohatsu fuel connectors interchangeable?

HarryL

I bought a new tank and hose for my Tohatsu 6hp last year from Defender. It is suppose to be OEM. The hose is 3/8. The o-ring seems damaged. Fuel leaks out when pressurizing and air gets in while running. I am in the Bahamas now with difficult access to Tohatsu parts. Even Merc are in limited supply. If I find a Merc OEM connector or replacement from Sierra or others should the parts be interchangeable?

If the origianl tank had 5/16 hose should a 3/8 hose connector mate properly with the Tohatsu engine side connector? Just checking if this might be the source of the o-ring damage.

Engine side port diameter is approx 8mm
Barb to port center approx 15mm
Barb length 21mm
barb diameter 6mm

Thanks,
Harry

Hose diameter is irrelevant. The original was probably 7 mm, which is close to 5/16. The small Mercs that have 2 "pins" at the motor end as you describe are Tohatsu connectors. They will also fit Yamahas and Evinrudes of recent vintage. So, the hose for the Tohatsu MFS4/5/6C is the same setup as the Merc, Evinrude, and Yamaha... so any of those will fit. Beware that older Johnson/Evinrude connectors look similar, but are not interchangeable. How is the hose terminated at the tank end? If your current tank connector is good, you may end up re-using it on another primer hose.

If you are at a marina or YC with access to US Mail, I can send you an OEM Tohatsu engine-side connector or complete primer hose.

Back