Logo

AQ131A Water gushing from exhaust pipe

thecaptain

Hi All,

Im new to boats having been messing with an old Bayliner Capri for the last 6 months (UK). I started this boat up last summer after buying it and it ran ok, no evident issues. Since then I have rebuilt the Carb and today as we are now coming out of the winter (boat has been covered but outside in the winter, not a particularly cold one) I decided to try and start it up.

The only other difference with last year is that the leg is not able to drop fully down off its trailer support, I have lifted the leg off the trailer support bracket and lowered it down onto a block of wood which means its down but not fully down if you know what i mean....

Another issue with the mechanical lift means I cant bring the leg position up electrically. Anyway thats the scene set.

When I start it up water gushes out of the exhaust pipe underneath and to the front where there appears to be some kind of outlet or something...

This didnt happen last time I started it up however it was in a bucket of water last time and not on muffs like today.

anyway video is attached, any help is appreciated.

Ayuh,...... Did you Drain all the water out of it over winter,..??

The water appears to be comin' outa a core plug,.... could be dislodged, or rusted through,.....

Ayuh,...... Did you Drain all the water out of it over winter,..??

The water appears to be comin' outa a core plug,.... could be dislodged, or rusted through,.....

Thanks for the response, no didnt drain it....... I prepare myself to be bashed for knowing nothing about boats! Will no doubt be on this forum a LOT.

:)

doing some vids of my journey if you fancy a laugh to follow.... will figure out what size plugs I need, get some new ones fitted and see if ive done any other damage. Better check the oil too :-/

Given we have had a very mild winter im hoping to get away with it.....

https://youtu.be/JYMWTOVW6ok

This engine has a half closed cooling system with antifreeze in the block and heat exchanger but raw water in the exhaust system, impeller housing and raw water section of the heat exchanger. What you have appears to be a freeze damaged and leaking exhaust manifold.
if you had freezing temps and the raw water was not drained from the heat exchanger, exhaust and impeller housing all of these parts can have freeze damage. Expensive mistake

Last edited:
This engine has a half closed cooling system with antifreeze in the block and heat exchanger but raw water in the exhaust system, impeller housing and raw water section of the heat exchanger. What you have appears to be a freeze damaged and leaking exhaust manifold.
if you had freezing temps and the raw water was not drained from the heat exchanger, exhaust and impeller housing all of these parts can have freeze damage. Expensive mistake

Really useful information louc! thanks for that. I have replaced the plugs now and I overheated after starting it up. Going to inspect the impeller etc... this weekend and see where we go from there.

Im trying to gather people as followers to my YouTube chanel so people can jump in and shout at me when im doing stuff wrong :) link is below, would be brill given your knowledge of this engine if you could follow and shout at me :)

I will be posting outcome of impeller inspection etc... soon https://youtu.be/WJ0WHzpfnjk

Overheating causes:
worn or shredded inpeller
rusted/clogged exhaust elbow (esp if the boat was used in salt)
thermostat not opening all the way
heat exchanger clogged with debris/corrosion.

My my best advice it to get a Volvo shop manual for this engine and start reading. Ricardo on this site is the resident VP expert...

Thanks Louc, ive just signed up for online manual access to Seloc for my engine too so hopefully will find some guidance in there.

I also had overheating problems with an AQ131. In my case the water jacket in the exhaust manifold was clogged with sediment and corrosion.

Thanks Louc, ive just signed up for online manual access to Seloc for my engine too so hopefully will find some guidance in there.

FYI..... while the Seloc manuals offer great images, many of us have found errors in them.
Your best bet will be the OEM work shop and/or OEM service manuals.
Use both if you like.... but refer to the OEM for technical info.

Back