Logo

BF200 Thrust washer questions

Blacktimes

Regular Contributor
Hi, hope someone can help me out. Bought a used boat with twin BF200´s manufactured in 2011 with serials in the 170 range. So far engines have hardly been used and only have 100 hours on them but I came across thehulltruth post advising on premature crankshaft thrust washer fails with serials that include mine and other BF200, BF225 & F250´s. The post, which is very old, advises of a Honda service bulletin with a crankshaft support spring assembly that avoids the washers wearing out. Has anybody had this done? Does anyone have a copy of the SB? Or a reference of the kit? I am assuming that this can be performed without opening the powerhead and that some sort of spring is mounted under the fly wheel to release weight on the bottom thrust washer before catastrophic failure...
Thanks.

Here is what I pulled off the Internet some time ago. I do not have a copy of the actual SB

Honda Marine has recently issued a Service Bulletin addressing the issues with thrust washer and/or main bearing failures in a limited number of Honda Marine BF200/225/250 engines.

A typical symptom is low oil pressure alert, the engine goes into protection mode, and the speed is limited to 1,800 rpm. In some cases, the upper thrust washer may become pinched, which may result in excessive heat and then failure of the washer and/or #3 main bearing.

Honda Marine has replacement short blocks that include improved thrust washers and a crankshaft support spring assembly. Honda is extending the warranty period for a total of 7 years or 2,500 hours on affected BF200/225/250 models for thrust washer failure. The extended warranty is limited to the failure of the thrust washer and/or #3 bearing ONLY.

Affected units are listed below:

BF200A
BAEJ-1600102 through BAEJ-1800315
BAFJ-1600013 through BAFJ-1800038

BF225A
BAGJ-1600528 through BAGJ-1800666
BAHJ-1600176 through BAHJ-1800226

BF250A
BBJJ-1000001 through BBJJ-1003028
BBJJ-8000001 through BBJJ-8000746

To qualify for this repair:
a. Unit must be in the serial number range
b. Unit must have less than 2,500 total hours
c. A number of Oil Alerts have occurred.
d. Honda Marine dealer must extract engine data using the special "Dr. H Diagnostic Kit" (Honda Special Tool)
e. Dealer must measure the crankshaft endplay to determine the condition of the thrust washer(s)

Registered owners of engines in the affected ranges will receive a letter from Honda Marine outlining the details of the Service Bulletin.

Qualified engines with the issue will be updated at no cost; the engine's owner is responsible for transport of the engine to a Honda Marine Dealer.

Owners who have previously paid for repairs to the thrust washer or #3 main bearing on eligible units within the revised warranty period may be eligible for reimbursement:
• You must have paid for the repair prior to receiving notice
• You must have been the owner of the marine engine at the time the service was done. You may still qualify for reimbursement if you no longer own the marine engine.

This is not just a case of installing the support spring kit, the thrust washers must also be replaced because the upgrade increases crankshaft end play from .35mm to .56mm. So to answer your question, this involves removal of the power head and oil pump and then all components necessary to remove crankcase and centre main bearing cap in order to replace the thrust washers. However, if the end play is monitored from service to service and remains within spec then there is no need for further action.You might also think about a slightly heavier oil grade as mentioned in many other posts.If it's any consulation, most recreational use engines have failed in the first 20hrs of operation if they are going to fail,so I suggest you invest in a dial gauge and check crank end float at every oil change and when you remove the oil filter cut it open and monitor for signs of white metal flakes.

The shops in my area (Chesapeake Bay) recommend using 25W-40 to reduce wear on the thrust washer. Personally, I use the Merc 25W-40 FC-W. 8.2 quarts with new filter.

Thank you all for your help. Have ordered a dial indicator with stand and will also probably change the oil grade. Touching wood here and hoping for the best. Are all engines within the SB range affected or is it a lottery?

"Are all engines within the SB range affected or is it a lottery?"

Don't know for sure, but think it is a random issue, likely brought on more by usage procedures. Long lay ups are very detrimental. USCG and commercial fishermen, who use these engines almost every day don't typically experience the problem.

Back