Logo

ditching the inboard engine

Reddman

Hi guy's,

I have a 1990 Freedom 21' that has the notorious 470 Mercruiser in it with a blown head gasket. Thinking about putting on an offshore bracket & a 200 -250 outboard on it. Does anyone have advice on a project like this. The hull & transom are in good shape just tried of taking care of an inboard.
Thanks, Reddman

Ayuh,...... 99% of the I/O to outboard conversions I've run across,.... Didn't work out,......

'n then there's the cost of the outboard,.... tens of thousands,......

For 1/2 the money, or less, you can drop in a 4.3l V6,..... or a 350 V8,.....
The 4.3l will work with the drive you've got,.... the V8 would need taller gears,....

Well, I've seen a few that have worked out on 21 - 25 ft boats, but others were a disaster. A big consideration is weight distribution. For example, a Honda 225 weighs approx 625 lbs. If you hang that on something like an Armstrong motor extension off the transom, which will be necessary, you're changing the whole weight distribution and hull attitude of the boat. Plus, the 225, if new, with all the rigging, including hydraulic steering, gauges, wiring, etc. will be around $20K. The boat's not worth it.

Thanks for the input guy's. Was just a thought I had. I know were I can get a vey well taken care of 225 Yamaha for a good price.

Back