Logo

Nmea 2000

Mark Sr

Looking for help,I have a 2000 Volvo 5.0GI with stearn drive.The block was replaced in 2012.Can I convert this engine to send signals for nmea 2000 so I can get engine info to my electronics which were new this summer.My gauges are getting pitted and I an extra 7" garmin I can use to replace my gauges.Also what sender would I use for fuel tank.Thanks

While theoretically possible, not likely worth the trouble. The NEMA output/input is part of the ECM which controls the (typically) multiport fuel injection/ignition system.
A new set of analog gauges would be waaaay less expensive and easier.

While theoretically possible, not likely worth the trouble. The NEMA output/input is part of the ECM which controls the (typically) multiport fuel injection/ignition system.
A new set of analog gauges would be waaaay less expensive and easier.

Thanks Capt Bob,do you have any idea of cost.I was looking at an Actisence EMU1 which states it is the way to go.Not sure

Like Bob suggests, its really not cost effective. If you want to research further, look up something like a fox engine gateway. Its a simple protocol converter...nothing more....they just happen have a decent implementation .... going on memory, they start ~$300 for the base hardware and it only gets more expensive from there....

.... and you can likely get a whole set of new analog gauges for $300. For me....full digital dashboard is a gee whizz thing. And NO, I'm not techno-phobic, quite the contrary, I have a degree in Electrical Engineering from a top tier engineering school, a 40+ year career as a design and development engineer and two high tech patents. Spent almost half my career as a consultant at Bell Labs/ Lucent. We had a saying.... "just because we CAN do it, dosen't mean we SHOULD do it." I feel that digital dashboards in "consumer" boats falls in that category. Besides the cost, there are reliability/availability considerations. Good old (high quality) analog gauges are more reliable than consumer grade full digital grade ones. And if and when the analog ones do fail are cheaper and easier to fix. The LEAST reliable setup ( considering that sensors are the least reliable part of a classic analog system) is to put a chunk of expensive electronics as an interface/converter from existing analog sensors to an expensive electronic dashboard. While electronics are (theoretically) inherently more reliable than mechanical devices, the cost cutting that consumer product manufacturers do to get a product to market "for a price" often results in a less reliable (and non repairable/hideous cost to replace) product.

Back