Logo

Milky oil being blown onto stark arrestor from tube attached to oil cap

appel1978

Second time I took boat out and its did same thing spitting oil out onto motor. But I think I know where the oil is coming from now. It seems to be coming from the hose that is attached to the oil fill cap and the other end is attached to the spark arrestor and the would explain why oil is covering the carb and top of motor and is getting into carb. But it is milky so where is the water coming from also. I was told PVC valve might be causing the oil to back pressure out of tube. And that water would be from water getting into intake from water inlet or the obvious it's a blow head. The engine seems to run fine at first, after first time it happened i cleaned the entire motor and hooked up the water to outdrive. And ran it and never saw oil or water. So i took it out for second time and road it for 15 min then checked the motor it was still running fine still not oil or water. But after going through a canal at no wake speed it started stalling at very low throttle. Once I got out of canal into next lake I tried opening punching it and it was sluggish fir about 20 seconds till it got slowly up to a faster speed and it just opened up back to normal so I just thought the previous owner hadn't driven it in s while and carbs were just a little gummed up and was kicking cysto out of it. Wasnt till I got back to dock when I saw all the oil everywhere. what are your thoughts on this. Sorry for the long description just wanted to be thorough

I kept checking temp through out the ride and it stayed in middle but I did not check it at the end of th ride

Well, if the engine is running at normal temp and you are not getting an increase in the oil level, but a decrease, it is time to do a leak down test, not a compression test, a leak down.

If it passes leak down, time to pull the intake.

Last edited:
Blown head gasket or cracked block are things to look at.-----New to you boat ?----Freezing weather ?-------It does sound expensive I think.

So it is an old boat.-----But pray tell what may have happened !----Perhaps you bought someone else's problems.-------

Back