Logo

1976 1150 Mercury trim limit switch replacement

alotring

I am restoring a 1976 1150 Mercury outboard. The trim limit switch mounted on the right side engine mount is frozen. To access it, it looks like I need to remove the right cylinder (done) the upper bolt attaching bracket to the transom mount (done) and the lower nut holding bracket to the transom mount (done). The problem is that the mount won't slide off (frozen on the lower bolt rod (which passes thru to both sides). Have tried heat and gentle pressure. Thinking of cutting a small opening along length of the mount above rod to relieve pressure and put some blast into it so I can slip off the bracket and replace switch. Any other thoughts?

I am restoring a 1976 1150 Mercury outboard. The trim limit switch mounted on the right side engine mount is frozen. To access it, it looks like I need to remove the right cylinder (done) the upper bolt attaching bracket to the transom mount (done) and the lower nut holding bracket to the transom mount (done). The problem is that the mount won't slide off (frozen on the lower bolt rod (which passes thru to both sides). Have tried heat and gentle pressure. Thinking of cutting a small opening along length of the mount above rod to relieve pressure and put some blast into it so I can slip off the bracket and replace switch. Any other thoughts?

I am working on a 1976 115 horse Mercury outboard trim limit switch and need advice. The trim limit switch is very hard to get at. I am having problems trying to get the hydraulic to work so I am looking for ways to check the trim limit switch but can not get at. Any advice?

Here's a wiring diagrampower-trim-wiringsmall.jpg as you can see the limit switch is normally closed so if you have a VOM it should read 0 ohms when not activated, if you bypass it with a jumper wire the unit will work but the feature will be bypassed.

You're welcome, try putting 12v to the green + terminal and black - leads on the motor to see if it turns - often the brushes are burned off and it's no go.

So i have a 1991 phantom 170 with a 4cylinder cobra omc my issue is it will only start and stay running at full throttle i can only idle back to 3/4 throttle and it dies any further than that? Please help needing to winterize ASAP monday it goes*down to 28 degrees here!

My VOM shows 1 on the trim limit leads. I am assuming that I need to remove the trim limit switch. The control switch at the helm when pressed for down makes the pump slightly make a "whirring" sound. I will try the green + and the black - leads to see if I can get the motor to turn. It's been sitting for 8 years.

Jump the limit switch while you are trouble shooting then worry about it later; 1 ohm is close to 0 which you should be getting when in the down position. If you are going to take the motor off be careful that you don't snap the bolts and don't take the control valve assembly apart. powertrimpump.jpg

Last edited:
Back