Logo

2002 90 TLRA (2 stroke) Hole Corroded in Block

gmiller0737

I have a 2002 90 TLRA (2 stroke) 212 Engine Hours owned since New Mostly Saltwater/Brackish Water Use & always flushed after each use using the factory flush hose on the Outboard when flushing today I noticed lots of water coming out from under the cowling on further inspection there is a fairly large crack in the water jacket on the Starbord side center cylinder,Looking for advice on what to do I know Block must be replaced,A new motor is for sure not in the Budget @ this point,Is this something that commonly goes wrong? a Google search came up empty

Last edited:
Not sure that I understand your questions/comments.

The block is damaged. IMO it should be replaced. Others may suggest some sort of a repair procedure.

Probably has happened before on a Yamaha similar to your model, other Yamaha models, or any brand or model of outboard motor. Saltwater is somewhat corrosive.

It is really irrelevant if it has never ever happened before or if it has happened multiple times.

Not sure that I understand your questions/comments.

The block is damaged. IMO it should be replaced. Others may suggest some sort of a repair procedure.

Probably has happened before on a Yamaha similar to your model, other Yamaha models, or any brand or model of outboard motor. Saltwater is somewhat corrosive.

It is really irrelevant if it has never ever happened before or if it has happened multiple times.
I am not looking to repair it I can see it needs a Power Head just trying to see if anyone has seen this issue before on the 90 2 Stroke My Zincs don’t show excessive erosion

Sometimes the castings are imperfect and have thin spots. Do you have a photo of the affected area? I have welded blocks and lower units on freeze cracks. Some even without dismantling. This is where a mig will work and a tig will not. Here is a sample photo, this unit was severely damaged. Merc Optimax. Hard rock strike, cracked, with bent prop shaft. If the damage is isolated and accessible, a good and experienced mig welder may help you. Jet skis can be repaired too, I have done them, but it can be tricky. Some aluminum alloys will put a good welder to shame. For most work, and even propeller repair, I prefer Hobart wire ER4043 .035 on straight Argon, not tri-mix gas. Run about 25 to 30 psi. Heat is so delicately critical, but when done right, it will likely last for years and years.

Attachments

• Optimax 6.jpg
    Optimax 6.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Optimax 5.jpg
    Optimax 5.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Sometimes the castings are imperfect and have thin spots. Do you have a photo of the affected area? I have welded blocks and lower units on freeze cracks. Some even without dismantling. This is where a mig will work and a tig will not. Here is a sample photo, this unit was severely damaged. Merc Optimax. Hard rock strike, cracked, with bent prop shaft. If the damage is isolated and accessible, a good and experienced mig welder may help you. Jet skis can be repaired too, I have done them, but it can be tricky. Some aluminum alloys will put a good welder to shame. For most work, and even propeller repair, I prefer Hobart wire ER4043 .035 on straight Argon, not tri-mix gas. Run about 25 to 30 psi. Heat is so delicately critical, but when done right, it will likely last for years and years.
Trying to get a picture on here but having problems getting to attach to posts

Back