Logo

Startup Buzzer/Alarm

shakey55

I have a 1999 Johnson 115 hp Oceanpro (2 stroke)

I’ve been search and have had no luck, so I’ve come here for help.

(Thank you for allowing me to become part of this forum)

When first turning the ignition key I would get an alarm sound, which I think is part of the startup check system.

For some reasonino longer get thisalarm sound. My concern is that not alarm at startup is the alarm malfunctioning and if oil problem or overheating occurs while at sea, I will get no alarm warning.

Is there anyone here that can point me to the actual Buzzer/Alarm and advise how I check if it is working.

Or or is there something else I should be doing and if so what.

I’m a real novice so detailed instruction would be appreciated

thanks

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

(Testing Warning Horn)
(J. Reeves)

On VRO equipped engines where the VRO automatic fuel/oil setup is still being used, make sure that all components are connected as required. This would include the VRO pump wiring harness itself, the oil tank wiring, the overheat sensor(s), and if so equipped.... the vacuum switch that is standard to many V6 & V8 engines.

If the VRO automatic setup has been eliminated and has been disconnected properly, and the fuel and oil is being premixed, make sure that the overheat sensors are still connected, and the vacuum switch if the engine is so equipped.

On engines prior to 1984 which have no VRO setup, ignore the instructions pertaining to the VRO components, etc above.

Turn the key to the ON position (Engine Not Running). Find the TAN wire at the cylinder head(s), then ground out the portion of that wire that is part of the engine wiring harness. If that Tan wire connector has the knife type connector where as it is exposed simply by sliding the rubber insulator back, it does not need to be disconnected.

Grounding that TAN wire should cause the horn to sound. If it does not, find out why as that's the only warning you'll receive should the engine overheat or have some portion of the VRO system fail, or have the engine encounter a fuel restriction if it is equipped with a vacuum switch.

Back