Logo

1965 18hp evinrude cant get running

Housey81

Hello boat gods ..

Background story , motor sitting for near 40 years,
18hp evinrude fastwin 1965 (ran the numbers)
Changed gear oil , compression is decent (cant hold fingers on the plug holes test)

New fuel line
New fuel pump
New Carb kit ( set pin all the way in 1.5 turns out )
New plugs

We can get it to fire but wont stay running long at all , 10seconds tops ..

We arent boat guys at all, looking for a little advice on getting this old gem running again .. any help is very much appreciated..
I'm new to this form stuff so bare with me

Thankyou in advanced ..

In all probability, you failed to manually clean the brass fixed high speed jet that's located in the center bottom portion of the float chamber, way behind the drain screw.

Carefully clean it with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly. Fuel must flow thru that jet before it has access to any other fuel passageway.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

In all probability, you failed to manually clean the brass fixed high speed jet that's located in the center bottom portion of the float chamber, way behind the drain screw.

Carefully clean it with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly. Fuel must flow thru that jet before it has access to any other fuel passageway.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Ok we cleaned that high speed jet , we got it to fire and idle for a couple min.

Think we still have carb issue , we choke and when release choke fuel pisses out back of carb ..

Ok update , we have changed both coils and couldn't get it to even sputter ..
Now we have added new points and condenser's made sure fuel was new, we can get it to sputter again ..

Still cant get it to fire , points are set to .03
It will back fire after 35 pulls .
Fuel is going through filling bowl up properly , were at a loss for ideas ...

Any info is greatly appreciated

Yes I thought that my buddy set it Haha
Ok were set at .02 maybe a hair bigger because we cant get it any tighter .

Got it running ( buddy had the kill switch the wrong way ) 50 pulls later )

We can fire it and idol at hi in natural, get back near start to go to low and it dies out.. we had enough for the night, might have an issue on the tiller throttle not sure yet ..

But **** ya we had it running , 40 years sitting !

You've still got points, condensers, coils and plug wires that are at least 40 years old and most likely 54 years old. I'd say your lucky it runs for 10 seconds.

It's running now , starts in higher idle, we just gave to adjust the start position and clean up the tiller handle a bit I do believe

Back