Logo

1994 48hp spl Evinrude chipped flywheel magnet.

Charlie86

Hello folks, my name is Charlie, and this is my first time posting here. I have this outboard that I have just replaced the charge coil and stator on. As I was attempting to reinstall the flywheel, I felt that it was maybe a little more “snug” then maybe it should be. This is my first time doing this. It did go all the way down, but when I torqued it down, the timing plate would rotate with the flywheel. I pulled the flywheel to see the problem, and noticed a small chip in one of the magnets on the flywheel. It’s just a small piece, no noticeable runners. My question is, can I epoxy or file down the small chip and still use it? Should I get a magnet kit? Will it affect charge/running? The magnet was pressed against the charge coil when I put the flywheel on, but I installed it correctly, and it’s a part from an Evinrude dealer. I’m wondering if I should have turned the timing plate so that when the magnets came down, they didn’t have that “hold” on the flywheel. Is it best to install the flywheel that way? It looks like all is hopefully well, I’m thinking maybe I can epoxy the chip and install the flywheel with moving the timing plate properly? I’ve done so much work on this thing, thanks everyone for whatever help you have.

Charlie... In installing the charge coil, or any component that the flywheel magnets fly by for that matter, unless you have the special ring tool that spaces the component properly from the magnets...... notice the aluminum portion of the plate that the coil sits upon.

You will see a ever so slight bevel there. The vertical metal portion of the coil must align with the inside portion of that bevel. If otherwise, there is a good possibility that the magnets will hit the coil which will of course result in damage.

A small chip from one of the magnets shouldn't be of any consequence.... a clear set of pictures would be needed before any of us could say exactly what to do... BUT... if indeed a small chip from a corner of a magnet, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I’m having trouble posting pictures, any idea?

I assume you have the same post/reply entry window that I am looking at.... small icons that one can let the cursor float over? If so, one of them will state "Insert Image) when the cursor in on top of it. The rest is self explanatory. Do you have a problem with that... or is your screen showing you something different?

3a7b3429-d562-4455-9483-839e2fcfb286

It shows the icon to upload video and pictures in the top right, also going to advanced replies and trying to upload isn’t working. I get all the way to choosing the picture, but it doesn’t upload. I am on a iPhone, that might have something to do with it not working..

Have you got something like Lit Photo? Reduce photo size, go like under 1000KB. Would like to see the chip and also the place on the component that it hit. Thanks, Tim

Back