Logo

Battery cable size for relocation

Mheltun

Regular Contributor
Question for our electrical experts. I have a 2004 BF225. One of my winter projects is to relocate the batteries from the stern to the pilothouse on my Parker. She’s an older model and is a bit heavy in the stern. I’ve been slowly ordering everything needed for the project but I’m a bit stuck on what size cabling to use. I will be extending the original cables about 17’-20’ depending on rounding and using a stud in the stern for the “coupling” point. Currently I’m planning on using 1AWG marine cable for the project. Does this sound about right? As always all help is appreciated.

thanks, Mark

Thanks Chawk. That is a great guide and I do have that chart saved on my phone for quick reference as well. I guess at this point does anyone know how many amps the Bf225 draws on startup? From what I’ve read on the hull truth and few other forums 1 AWG should be more than sufficient. I source all my wire thru Greg’s marine wire and they rate their 1AWG at 245 Amps. Even factoring in the distance of run this should be sufficient.

thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,
What IS the distance of your run? Based on your saying you intend to extend by 20', I'm thinking over 30'?

With anything to do with engine cranking, bigger is better and I think it would be well within reason to go with the single aught (0) diameter.

Just my opinion.

Happy boating.

Hi Mark,
What IS the distance of your run? Based on your saying you intend to extend by 20', I'm thinking over 30'?

With anything to do with engine cranking, bigger is better and I think it would be well within reason to go with the single aught (0) diameter.

Just my opinion.

Happy boating.

And after thinking about it a bit longer I even think I would go with the 00 if it's closer to 40' than 30'

Good luck.

I do not have an exact measurement yet. But a good estimation would be about 17’ to where it connects to the OEM wire off of the motor. The power leads off of the motor were also shortened by about 3’ last season. I found a bad section of wire that I removed.

thanks for everyone’s feedback.

I measured tonight and the distance from the lug on the stern to my battery switch will be about 17’-18’. On the stern I’ll terminate that on a 250amp buss bar. I decided to go that route vs a lug because it’s easier to tie in my kicker motor as well

Back