Logo

Superceded Fuel Pump Part Number Confusion

JeffYo

New owner for this engine... No ID plate... Leaky fuel pump on 1991ish Johnson 40HP VRO twin. Previous owner already converted to non-VRO. Pump says 175230. This site says superceded by 5007421/5004562. I see cross-reference to 5007422 on Amazon for good price but says 3 cylinder or larger? Sheesh! Hate to order and get stuck for $200. Rather go new and not mess with seal kit. Anybody know whether the 5007422 will fit my engine? Thanks.

Jeff

Post pictures of your motor.----Post pictures of your pump.-----The correct non VRO pump bolts directly to the side of the top cylinder and has one hose for fuel in and one hose for fuel out.-----Fuel pump leaks are an easy repair in my opinion.-----But folks often jump for a new pump.-----What other trouble shooting has been done on this motor ?----Motors are often sold for a reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Here's a couple photos. Yes I know I have good spark and compression and clean fuel. Before the leak was repaired, the boat idled fine. After I replaced the seals, it starts and runs for a minute or so and starts to bog down. If I pump the fuel primer bulb it comes back to life. I'm 99% sure I reassembled the pump correctly. Only other thing I'm thinking is that the new diaphragms may need exercising to "loosen up"? I ran the boat on trailer about 5-10 minutes so far intermittantly pumping the primer bulb. I have a new pump on order. Hate to add $200 on top of $40 for seals/diaphragms on first go around if I'm missing something. I suppose I can take the pump apart again and look at it more closely before reassembling...
2018-12-28_07.30.10.jpg2019-02-03 12.23.24.jpg

Perhaps look at the simple pump that bolts to the side of the top cyinder.----Easy fix.

So I found a new pump online. Received and installed. Checked/tightened all hoses and connectors from tank to fuel pump and from fuel pump out. Replaced in-line filter before fuel pump and connectors from tank to hose and hose to engine. Here's scenario. Squeeze bulb 4-5 times and it gets hard. See fuel fill inline filter. Engine fires nicely and runs for 3-4 minutes then slowly sputters and dies. Inline filter stays pretty much full. If I squeeze bulb a few times before engine sputters, it will continue to run for another few minutes, then repeats cycle. Tried increasing RPM's for testing and same result.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a vaccuum issue pre-fuel pump. The question is how can I tell FOR SURE that the (new) fuel pump is working, OR diagnose what else is probably wrong. Thanks in advance.

So is the new fuel pump bolted directly over the pulse port on the side of the top cylinder , yes or no.-----Are there 2 hoses on this new pump ?----Are there 3 hoses on this new pump ?------Or how exactly did you install this pump is the question.

Back