Logo

Honda BF50A swivel frame bracket replacement

tttonyyy

Hi all, I've picked up a 1995 BF50 with a swivel frame that might as well be made of cheese - see attached. Compression was good (175psi on all three cylinders) and I managed knocked the price down a fair bit because of the state of the mount.

However, I can't find the part (50100-ZV5-000ZA) and I see from another thread here that the 2004+ part isn't compatible (50100-ZW4-H01 or 50100-ZW4-H02).

Fortunately I've found a 2000 one in reasonable condition from a marine engine breaker and managed to separate it from the intermediate plate OK (see last attachment). I've yet to try pressing it out of the lower mount.

My plan is to separate the breaker's part from the rest of the swivel case, clean it up then treat it somehow to try and slow that one from rusting. Question is what will preserve it the best?

I have metal paints, or I can try and get it galvanised (but then it might not fit back into the swivel case any more, or press back into the lower mount).

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• outboard.jpg
    outboard.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 78
  • swivel.jpg
    swivel.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 120
  • swivel2.jpg
    swivel2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 105
  • breaker part.jpg
    breaker part.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Treat it with rust converter and make sure there is not a spot of rust left on it. Prime and paint and then coat it on a regular basis with Mercury Corrosion guard, it will not corrode again if you do this diligently.

Not heard of Corrosion Guard, sounds like a good plan.

Having undone the 8 mounting bolts on the actual engine, those mounts are not shifting as easily as the clean one from the breaker. Even with a pry bar. I'm going to spray in some penetrating oil and hope this breaks the rust that is presumably jamming the rubber bushes in place. Fingers crossed.

And the replacement swivel bracket, that spline is not wanting to come out of the lower mount. Honda sell a special tool for the job (which is essentially a handle you hit with a hammer and an adapter that fits into the bottom of the swivel bracket's tube). Turns out a 27mm socket is also about the right diameter, but it ain't shifting. Will soak that in penetrating fluid as well. Stuck on two fronts...

Hey, quick question as I go through a similar issue. I trying to get access to the swivel case - I have disconnected the upper and lower engine mounts, and the only thing keeping the engine attached to the swivel case is the gear linkage rod. Any idea how to get around this without taking apart to engine to get access to the gear linkage rod from above? Thanks!

Back