Logo

Leaking water between gearcase and lower part of engine

J

Jason Schneider

I m new to the boat world i h

I m new to the boat world i have a 235 horse johnson i replaced the water pump and whe i pu it on water cups it leaks water between the gearcase and its matin surface is ithin ok? Also the water pump housing has a hole in it it from the factory is this for pressure relief. I was told no gasket is need between gearcase and bottom of engine is this correct. Thank you jason

" Hi,

I'm a little conf

" Hi,

I'm a little confused as to what you are asking of in your post, but the terminology from the top down is:

1. Powerhead (engine components only)
2. Exhaust housing, also called "leg" (there can also be an exhaust extension plate here)
3. Lower unit (gear case)

There is no seal between the lower unit and exhaust housing. The top of the lower unit and the area inside the lower portion of the exhaust housing normally is going to get filled with water. I can't say that it's quite right to have water gushing out where those surfaces meet, as the surfaces should meet fairly cleanly, but if the lower unit was installed correctly (be sure of this), you have no problem. Sometimes the mating surface on the lower unit & exhaust housing is pretty nicked up from being pried apart; this can cause the leakage you describe and, as I said, is nothing to worry about.

I don't know of the hole you describe, but haven't messed with a Johnson water pump in a while. Can't say for sure, but if that hole isn't someplace where a bolt (or stud) is missing, and was like that from the factory I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure the water pump is putting out a good stream from the tell-tale. The cooling system in these engines really has to be working correctly at all times, else you risk serious damage.

Jon "

"Jason.... There is no gasket

"Jason.... There is no gasket at that area. However, in the trade, we use a sealer all the way around the surface of the lower unit where it will contact the upper exhaust housing. The water leaking/squirting out of that area won't hurt anything and will eventually seal up with salt etc.

The sealer is either "OMC Adhesive M" or "Marprox Sealer 1000". You may also find it listed under the manufacturer "Boat Armor" but it will also be listed as Sealer 1000".

You can still seal the unit if you wish by simply dropping it about 3/8" and shooting in the sealer as needed on the top outside edge. Bolt it back up and wait a few hours before running the engine. The excess that may ooze out can simply be wiped off.

Joe
"

Back