Logo

Replacing Head Gasket on DF25 2003 suzuki

Dterry

Contributing Member
Hi all

It looks like I may have some water intrusion in my crankcase oil. I have read that the most likely culprit is a blown head gasket in which would explain the rough idle. I have a service manual but it does not explain how to simply remove the head gasket without ripping apart the power head. Is there an easy way of removing the head gasket on these engines without tearing through the power head? I have never replaced one on these engines so I just don't know how involved this fix is.

Thanks for the help! Dan

No shortcut, power head has to be removed so that the timing chain can be removed prior to cylinder head removal.A blown head gasket is not a common issue on modern four stokes, there are several ways that water can contaminate the oil. How much water are we talking about, for example, a stuck thermostat causing cold running can cause slight milkiness of the oil? The biggest culprit if there is a lot of water is corrosion if the motor has been used in saltwater all its life.

It doesn't look like a lot of water, I will try adding a picture. I plan on changing out the head gasket and oil pan gasket because I have heard that these are both major culprits. I am in the process of removing the power head. Once powerhead is off do I remove chain from underneath?

Dan

Thanks for the help! I plan on finishing it up this weekend, I will take pictures and will let everyone how it goes.

Dan

Back