Logo

Milky oil diagnosis

Dterry

Contributing Member
Hi all trying to figure out if I have a leaking head gasket or if I'm collecting moisture via combustion. I have a 2002 25hp 3 cylinder four-stroke outboard. When I bought the motor the oil was black, I replaced the oil and filter 4 months ago and used the boat maybe 12 times since then.

Thoughts on how to determine what problem I may be having? PS- oil did smell like gasoline.

Dan

Take and change it again right away. Need to find out why its running rich, what color are the spark plugs?

Hi thanks for the reply, I changed out the oil and collected a sample. I let the oil sit in a glass jar overnight and looked for separation. I didn't see water but the oil smelt like gas and exhaust. The spark plugs were not overly saturated but was a more like a grey charcoal color. I adjusted the needles on the carburetors and will see how it goes.

Dan

Take and change it again right away. Need to find out why its running rich, what color are the spark plugs?

If it has used Ethanol fuel, it could be leaking fuel past the pump diaphragm and into the manifold via vacuum. I have had that happen on my Yamaha.

Thanks Tim guy, but would that make it milky?

Dan

QUOTE=timguy;632126]If it has used Ethanol fuel, it could be leaking fuel past the pump diaphragm and into the manifold via vacuum. I have had that happen on my Yamaha.[/QUOTE]

Milky is an indication of moisture, of course, so there could be another problem with water getting in somewhere. Right, maybe the head gasket. How is the compression? Test it with the throttle open as otherwise you will get a low reading. But try it both ways and see if you notice a low cylinder, then we can suspect even more, a head gasket problem.

Thanks again for the help I will let everyone know how it goes after head gasket change.

Dan

Milky is an indication of moisture, of course, so there could be another problem with water getting in somewhere. Right, maybe the head gasket. How is the compression? Test it with the throttle open as otherwise you will get a low reading. But try it both ways and see if you notice a low cylinder, then we can suspect even more, a head gasket problem.

Will do! Just finished taking off the engine holder and found water coming from one of the bolts. Its been a PIA but I'm glad I put in the hours I've learned a lot from this project.

Dan

Dan

QUOTE=iang6766;632344]Check the thermostat , a cold running engine will

suffer from fuel dilution of oil as well as condensation[/QUOTE]

Yes the part that the power head sits on and where the oil pan rests below. I would post a screenshot but it doesn't work when uploading from my phone. Anyways there are bolt's that hold these three parts all together and that's where I found water. Two of the bolt's near the cooling passage was wet with water.

Dan

QUOTE=timguy;632517]The engine holder?[/QUOTE]

Back