Logo

1960's 70, 80's Engines still going. What about 2000's+ 4 strokes?

Klink

Regular Contributor
I see tons of postings here about 2 stroke 1960's 70's, 80's engines still going strong. I don't think the 2000's+ 4 strokes will last anywhere near that. I mean, for what little most people use their engines, with Winter, and only weekend or Sunday time, a 4 stroke engine is not getting any work. I think the old two strokes are ideal for that infrequent use.

What do you experts think?

Last edited:
You preachin' to the choir, brother. I clean mine up with Amsoil at 64 or 100 to 1, non oxy fuel and they will run for a long, long time. Still carry a 35 horse on my shoulder, up to the shed. 4 strokes are great, but leave them hanging on the boat.

Ficht crucial engine parts are obsolete. You have to buy used.
Injectors, oil pumps, EMMs, HP Fuel pumps etc. Hell, injector coefficients....what a nightmare to get something that simple.

Those engines are history. I run 2004 BRP Direct Inject 225s, and finding such parts is a long shot.

Newer engines will not be around much longer.

Some of the newest outboards I have are 4 strokes.------Evinrude / Suzuki models ------- 130 HP Honda------Some others too------Seems the shops do not have the will to repair them.-----Or owners in a short season opt to buy new.------Hoping to pick up a Suzuki 15 HP soon for next to nothing.----Shop not interested in repairing it even though it looks like new.----Just too many parts and pieces that drive up the labour hrs and shops can not compete with robots in a modern factory.

Right, we are living in a different world of engineering and manufacturing, where primary attention is focused on making money, making things repairable by only a select few, and making stuff disposable. Mankind has the ability and knowledge to do so much, to be So great....., but our path has taken a very different direction. I still fix the old stuff, the shops in the area won't even work on pre 2000 stuff. Consumers are forced to bring them to guys like me, and most are horse&*#! mechanics.

There's lots of older ones than 60s, 70s and 80s that are still running great today. My favorite is a '57 model Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 hp that's still running as good today as it was 62 years ago.

7wrxLRv.jpg

Who here cannot appreciate 60 year old technology, that has kept us fishing for all these years and you can still buy almost every part you might need at your local auto parts store?

Who here cannot appreciate 60 year old technology, that has kept us fishing for all these years and you can still buy almost every part you might need at your local auto parts store?

Absolutely the reason I won't buy new...
There's deals to be had on these old motors. Generally from people not so mechanically inclined.
Something breaks or doesn't work right, they don't have the know-how or the bother, to repair it themselves. They don't want to put the money into it, that it would cost a shop to repair for such an old motor. So they sell on the local classifieds on the cheap.

I've picked up a few older motors now, that have simply needed a carb cleaning, or the points cleaned up and set.
A new impeller and they're back in business to have them back on the water and running... on the cheap.

I still have much to learn but with resources like these online forums with so many helpful people, the knowledge base is there for most to tap into when/if needed.

Last edited:
Johnny, that's how I started out in the 1960's. Didn't have forums then, or YouTube to help, but I had a mentor, sharp, wise, sense of humor, and the best Johnson/Evinrude man in town, maybe even in the state. William Swanson Bay View Boat Works, Duluth MN. Boaters could pull right up to his dock on Lake Superior Bay. Think that's why I like Joe Reeves here on the forum.....reminds me so much of Bill. Follow guys like these here and you have instant access to hundreds of years experience.

Back