Logo

1977 115HP - Spanner size needed for pinion locknut

nicklanigan

Contributing Member
Hi all,

I know I need to pull apart my gearbox this winter (I'm in the southern hemisphere) as I've got some symptoms of problems in there - I understand I need a flex spanner to hold the pinion locknut whilst the driveshaft is turned. I have the required adapter to attach a breaker bar to the drive shaft, but would like to know:

- What size flex spanner is needed for the pinion locknut - I think it is 7/8, but would like to confirm.

Thanks so much,

Nick.

Thank you.

The manual I have calls for the use of a "flex handle" spanner to get the pinion nut off - would someone be so kind as to post a link to such a spanner from somewhere like amazon - (unless marine engine carry such a tool). I've seen various items, but am unsure exactly what is needed the job.

I've watched various you tube clips where straight spanners are used - is this ok? My guess is this gearbox has not been opened in 42 years, so I'm expecting a challenge.

Two seasons ago I rebuilt the powerhead after suffering from a broken ring, so am comfortable giving the gearcase a go.

Back