Logo

Evinrude 3hp 1966 rebuild

Looking good, please keep us updated. Have you got a close up of the honing job? How was the honing accomplished? Always great to have spare parts.

Yeh i have one picture about cylinders after honing, here it is.
1.jpg
I Did work with medium stones. It was not easy to find honing tool for so small cylinders. Anyway i used clean engine oil and half rpm. Later i become think and perhaps i could hone more cylinders, but lets do this again in next time with engine overhaul. :)

Okay time for some updates. Well this time i have not so much to tell, but today i have assembled crankshaft on its place, and also connecting rods are now connected to the crankshaft. Also today i assembled cylinder head with new gasket to its place, with right torques. Now i need to wait about one week, because i am getting new gaskets to intake manifold, and now my other half of crankcase and intake manifold are now in shop, because they make new gaskets just for me and they want to make sure that everything will fit perfect, and that takes time about one week. I am so happy that crankcase is almost all ready now, and next week i can assemble powerhead back to its place. And yes, i remembered to rotate crankshaft, and it is turning ok, no seize.

yes that´s right, i am from Finland. Example there is O ring in upper part of my crankshaft, and here they didn´t find that part from database even i know the part-number. So the upper O ring is also made specially for me. i wanted to use right material, because that ring must withstand hot temperatures.

i think you might be interested to see couple photos of my project situation right now, while waiting intake gaskets.
22.JPG
One last photo about exhaust-side before putting the cover back

24.JPG
Block and adapter-plate ready

23.JPG
Ready for powerhead install

The paint is sand-down, since i am going to repaint whole motor

You can still order from the US. For example here is an intake gasket for your motor for $6.54 on ebay. While the shipping is high at $19.99 to Finland the fact is it's available and will ship to Finland which is an option if you can't get it made cheaper locally.

You have to click on "see details" under shipping to get the price to Finland.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OMC-Jo...195824?hash=item1cb8c7f2b0:g:6-oAAOSwy6lbk--g

Last edited:
Thanks Rook. Evin is building good experience, maybe he will start a repair service there. I grew up with Fins and Italians who immigrated to northern Minnesota in the early 1900's. I quickly learned that Fins generally are naturally talented in the trades. Many of my mentors in the logging, carpentry, masonry, as well as even musical interests have been Fins. In fact the most multi talented human I have ever made as a good friend and still an excellent guitarist, singer, cook, and golfer (at 87 years old) is Finnish, Peter Laiti. His skills and knowledge are almost endless, always self employed, raising a talented family of 6.

Last edited:
Thank you. I just really love older outboard engines very much, specially the smaller-ones. Old outboard motors usually looks very nice and generally are simple enough to understand how they works. The previous owner of my engine told me, that this particular engine have been once stolen, and once in the seafloor, so the history of this motor is quite special i can say. I really feel very happy to restore this engine back to good condition :)

Yep Tim, Evin looks to be doing a great job on that motor. I wish him well and look forward to hearing about his experiences with it as work proceeds.

Thanks. It is also rebuild engine. couple years ago i assembled new ball/needle bearings+main bearing assembly to it, and of course all new powerhead gaskets. There was problem with one ball bearing, so i decided to change all bearings same time while the engine was tear down. Anyway at the begin of this year, i made decision that boating season 2019 will be Evinrude´s season. Merc is nice engine for longer trips, but this 2019 season, i will forget all hurry, and use Evinrude. I love the smooth sound of Evinrude.

Okay, time for some updates. Today was good day since i got my intake gaskets from the shop. After that i spend some time with the motor, and now you can see my situation from the photo. Painting-work is my next step. Feels so good to see the motor in one piece :)

teli1.jpg

You possess obvious skills, keep up the great work and I am excited to see how the little 3 horse runs.

Thank you very much. The Intake gaskets+fuel cap gaskets was not too expensive, only 68 Dollar all, and we need remember that they where made only for me, like tailor-made, and fits perfectly.

I started my painting-works yesterday and today i got my motor mechanically ready, i mean that only outside covers and tank are under the work. I´d be happy to hear that what kind of grease or oil, i need put to the carburettor linkage? Today i also made check that flywheel will rotate free, without touch the coils. Also there is nice kick, during each compression on flywheel. So here is the photo, taken today, and i want to remind that i am just begin with my painting works :)

IMG_2619.jpg

Gaskets look beautiful. Any grease will work, no need to be too fussy. Paint looking good too. How is your spark, good 1/4" jump, white blue color?

Last edited:
About spark, since all my ignition parts was good as new (i changed one coil), i only made check that cap was right and points are clean. Also i am going to put new spark plugs ( Champion J6c) with right cap for sure. If everything works, i am not going to test my spark. I do have spark tester, hopefully i dont need it.

Right, a spark at your plugs is not an effective test. Have to get a good spark crackle at 1/4 inch.

Today i have spent my time painting the outside covers and starter cover, seems that paint-works really takes time, since it takes usually 24h, before next layer paint can be apply. Anyway i am not professional painter and my motor is not going to showroom, so i dont feel too sad if my finishing level is not same as factory. But my question, what is the right operating temperature with these old Evinrude motors? I have infrared thermometer and i want to make sure that my motor runs right temperature.

Today i have spent my time painting the outside covers and starter cover, seems that paint-works really takes time, since it takes usually 24h, before next layer paint can be apply. Anyway i am not professional painter and my motor is not going to showroom, so i dont feel too sad if my finishing level is not same as factory. But my question, what is the right operating temperature with these old Evinrude motors? I have infrared thermometer and i want to make sure that my motor runs right temperature.

You know I have never checked. The water temp of the lake along with how hard the motor is working, of course, will determine its powerhead temperature. No thermostat so probably under 160 degrees F.

i wanted to show you one picture about my painting-works. Same-time this is like preview about the color theme, which i will use in my motor. Tank bracket, throttle handle and propeller will be white, other outside parts will be same color as you can see my photo. About this particularly photo i want to say, that these side covers will get one light layer paint more and also one light layer bright lac .

covers.jpg

Some updates to my readers. Today i got my painting work ready with side covers and starter. Now i have fuel-tank under work. Fuel tank is now half ready, since i will paint it with 2 colors, (light blue and white) and blue parts are now ready, it will take days to finishing the white parts. I really feel happy, because i can give new life to old Evinrude.

Thank you, i really hope that too. While waiting other parts to come ready, i can show now picture about my side covers and starter, which are all ready now. I think that this finishing-level is enough good for normal use.
Ready.jpg

Back