Logo

AQ 131 with 280 sterndrive help!!

Arthur 1019

First of all, Hi to everyone on this forum as i'm newbies.

I have purchased boat Fletcher Faro-project with AQ131 4 cyl engine and missing outdrive (transom plate mounted) . what i found it is designed for 275 which use 26 spline shaft (fine). The problem is that i've bought 280 complete with transom plate as searched on the forum that are interchangeable ,but found i got u - joint for 10 splines (coarse) shaft.
Any idea how to pair this setup aq131 (fine 26) shaft with 280 (10 coarse) and what parts needed etc..

Much appreciated for any advise.

First of all, Hi to everyone on this forum as i'm newbies.

I have purchased boat Fletcher Faro-project with AQ131 4 cyl engine and missing outdrive (transom plate mounted) .
The part that mates to the boat's transom would be the "Transom Shield"! The stern drive mounts to the transom shield.

what i found it is designed for 275 which use 26 spline shaft (fine).
The 280 or 275 Transom Shield has Zero to do with the PDS spline count.
Please clarify for us!

The problem is that i've bought 280 complete
Do you mean 280 drive?
If so, you must have;
a...... the 2.15:1 final reduction for the AQ131 engine. Final reduction is accomplished in the lower gear unit.
b...... a single exhaust relief transom shield for the AQ131 engine.

with transom plate as searched on the forum that are interchangeable
NOTE:
The OHC 4 cylinder engine requires a transom shield with the single exhaust relief port.
The V-8 double exhaust relief shield will not work for the AQ131 engine's exhaust "down tube".

,but found i got u - joint for 10 splines (coarse) shaft.
That would be the female yoke that is 10 spline (aka course spline).

Any idea how to pair this setup aq131 (fine 26) shaft with 280 (10 coarse) and what parts needed etc..
The shaft that you mention is your PDS..... (primary drive shaft).
It couples the engine's drive coupler to the transmission's universal drive shaft.
While you have things apart...... you should replace the PDS bearing.

In order to fit the transmission's "universal drive shaft" to your fine spline PDS, you will need to change out the female yoke.

However, you will need to know which bearing cross (aka U-joint) is being used....... internally clipped or externally clipped????

I have these parts if interested!

Last edited:

1. I found some people name it plate, mount etc. But agree with you proper is 'transom shield " !
2.i know that but I mean 275 stern drive mostly comes with 26 splines female yoke(fine)
3.yes I mean 280 stern drive with 2.15:1 gear ratio as been used before with 4 cyl engine as well
Yes it has single exhaust.
4. I know that, as above- single exhaust relief
5. Exactly female yoke in universal joint assembly
6. Correct ,another proper part name. But Volvo penta diagrams shows it as "spindle"
Good idea to replace bearings. Thanks
7.i think internally clipped
Yes, I'm interested

Do you think I can leave existing transom shield from 275 as is good condition and conversion involving only u joint assembly? That will save lots of time with engine removal. 280 drive will fits into 275 transom shield?

view

Yes... I did that. 9 trouble free seasons so far.
Note that the helmet and "fork" are a matched pair.
Inspect the transom shield for wear on the holes that accept the heavy stainless pivot/mount pins.
Replace plastic bushings regardless.

1. I found some people name it plate, mount etc. But agree with you proper is ''transom shield " !
That is correct!

2.i know that but I mean 275 stern drive mostly comes with 26 splines female yoke(fine)
If speaking about the transmission's universal drive shaft yoke....... yes.

3.yes I mean 280 stern drive with 2.15:1 gear ratio as been used before with 4 cyl engine as well
Correct...... the 2.15:1 reduction MUST be used with the OHC 4 cylinder engine.

Yes it has single exhaust.
I was referring to the single exhaust relief port.
You cannot use a double relief transom shield with the OHC 4 cylinder engine, or visa-versa!

4. I know that, as above- single exhaust relief

5. Exactly female yoke in universal joint assembly

6. Correct ,another proper part name. But Volvo penta diagrams shows it as "spindle"
In the states, the shaft is best known as a PDS...... primary drive shaft.

Good idea to replace bearings.
Your 4 cylinder Flywheel Cover (bell housing in the auto world) will be equipped with a single bearing PDS. Very easy to replace this bearing.
This is an industry standard bearing..... it does NOT need to come from Volvo Penta!

7.i think internally clipped
If so, that would be a Spicer 5-1306X bearing cross.

Yes, I'm interested
Please confirm which one you need, and I'll pull one out for you.
I get $75 for a new one.

Do you think I can leave existing transom shield from 275 as is good condition and conversion involving only u joint assembly?
I'm not following you. The Universal shaft has nothing to do with the transom shield!

That will save lots of time with engine removal. 280 drive will fits into 275 transom shield?
You could fit a 250, 270, 275, 280, 285, 290, SP, 280, 280DP, 290DP, etc into that transom shield if you know which suspension fork to use.
Your largest concern will be the exhaust relief port...... in other words, your shield MUST have the single relief port!

Yes... I did that. 9 trouble free seasons so far.
Note that the helmet and "fork" are a matched pair.
Well, that's a new one on me!

Inspect the transom shield for wear on the holes that accept the heavy stainless pivot/mount pins.
Yes, and on that note, DO NOT ever ever ever drive against those suspension fork hinge pins with anything harder than an Italian Bread Stick!
They are a SS alloy and are soft.
If you were to expand them (by using a steel drift pin/hammer), you will play HELL trying to get them out of their bores!

Replace plastic bushings regardless.
Yep!

And remember...... absolutely NO automotive Never-Seeze on anything below the water line!

Thanks guys for pointing me on right way.I got experience with cars but not much with motor boats. I got RIB with Mariner 10hp outboard that's where my motor boating began.
Just want to post some pictures . How can I upload directly from phone or I need to use computer? I'm not using any hosting servers. I'll be here with many more questions as it is beginning of my project which expecting to finish before summer!

Another question is what needs to be greased/lubricated on connection PDS with stern drive?
As far as I know all movable metal bits should be greased/oiled . What kind of grease use on PDS ? Stern drive shaft ( u-joint) is lubricated only through grease nipples or externally as well?

Another question is what needs to be greased/lubricated on connection PDS with stern drive?
1.... the actual PDS bearing.
2.... the splines.... both the male and female.
3.... the bearing crosses themselves (aka U-Joints)

As far as I know all movable metal bits should be greased/oiled .
What kind of grease use on PDS ?
Any good quality high pressure bearing grease.
DO NOT switch greases!!!!!!! different grease chemistry may cause the grease to loose it's viscosity.
In other words, once you begin with brand X, stay with brand X.

Stern drive shaft ( u-joint) is lubricated only through grease nipples or externally as well?
Those are your "bearing crosses", commonly called U-joints in a misnomer fashion.
Again, once you begin with brand X, stay with brand X.

And for the s/p stern drive (s/p = single prop), you will be using 30W Engine oil, or if in warm Florida waters, 40W Engine oil.
DO NOT..... repeat..... DO NOT use heavy gear oil in an early Volvo Penta s/p stern drive.

Back