Logo

smoke from lower unit

johnbyrd

2016 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke.
Recently in the shop to have carb cleaned. First time I ran it since the service, I noticed smoke coming from the lower unit. What could be the cause? I touched the cover below the oil plug and it was warm. Water pump seemed to work as water water was being pumped out through the pee hole

looks like smoke. It was white and appeared to look similar to the exhaust smoke. I suppose it could have been vapor, but I've never noticed this before which is why it concerned me. Smoke was coming from exhaust when I first started the engine, but stopped and the smoke from the lower unit continued. It was coming out from the plastic trim just below the oil plug. the motor is on the boat, but I was running in a trash can at home. I was told that I had to have the carb cleaned because I didn't run the motor for a while so I had pulled it out of the garage to let it run fro a minute.

Let it run for a while on the boat and see what happens.----Even tie boat to the dock and pot it in gear.-----And yes run it out of fuel if you are not going to use it for a few months.

Back