Logo

^ 6hp hard to pull start.

hingeman

I have a 1967 6 hp evinrude. Why is it so hard to pull the rope to start it? It's only a 6 hp! Some motors spin easily an then you get the rpms higher so it starts easier. I have to use both hands to pull the rope. Am I missing something or is there something I can oil? Thanks Scott

Firstly determine if it is the motor itself which is difficult to turn over or if it is the starter mechanism which is stiff.

It has the same vertical rope spool with a Bendix type pinion on the top as my 6hp

The starter itself should turn quite freely with no resistance other than that of the recoil spring.

The motor should turn freely if the plugs are taken out to relieve the effect of the cylinder compression. If the motor is difficult to turn with no obvious external reasons and the water pump is not bone dry you may have to remove the gear case to determine if it is the power-head or gear case which is stiff.. ( a good opportunity to renew the pump impeller ! )

I assume the gear case oil looks to be in good condition and not all claggy indicating sever internal corrosion of the gear case

You should be able to pull that rope handle with 2 fingers.-----check for binding as stated above.-----Was motor submerged ?---Any history ?

Are you sure it is a 1967? Hard to pull is a classic symptom of a broken shock absorber in the lower unit. But 1965 was the last year the shock absorber was used.

Have the coils been replaced? A common error is failure to adjust them, resulting in them dragging on the flywheel magnets. Does rotating the flywheel try to rotate the mag plate below it? If it does, well there ya go.....

An easy first test.

Have the coils been replaced? A common error is failure to adjust them, resulting in them dragging on the flywheel magnets. Does rotating the flywheel try to rotate the mag plate below it? If it does, well there ya go.....

An easy first test.
Thanks fdrgator! I'll check that out as soon as it stops raining!

Update: First off, I gave everyone a bum steer. It's a 1976 6hp Evinrude not a 1967. Sorry. Come to find out, the starter spool, bushings and spring were gummy and making it drag. I took the starter out and disassembled and cleaned it all up, put it back in and it's a two finger pull again! The book says not to oil the spool and that's where some of the "gummy" was. Thanks again to everyone for your help. There's a bunch of smart people here that are always willing to help. Scott

Update: First off, I gave everyone a bum steer. It's a 1976 6hp Evinrude not a 1967. Sorry. Come to find out, the starter spool, bushings and spring were gummy and making it drag. I took the starter out and disassembled and cleaned it all up, put it back in and it's a two finger pull again! The book says not to oil the spool and that's where some of the "gummy" was. Thanks again to everyone for your help. There's a bunch of smart people here that are always willing to help. Scott

Thanks for reporting back

Back