Logo

Mercury 18hpXD prop

BrendanQLD

Hi guys,
Hoping for some advice - I’ve recently put the Mercury 25hp carby on my 18hpXD motor. Definitely a bit more chirpy and runs great, but I’m wondering if the 25hp prop is the same displacement/pitch as the 18hp, or if it’s different and possibly worth putting on for additional gain?

Thanks in advance -

Prop diameter and pitch are determined by the boat you have the motor on.-------Different pitches are available to suit the load / speed of the boat.

Thanks racerone - much appreciated. Your response makes perfect sense, although my assumption was that Mercury would have altered the prop for the larger horse power which would likely be on a larger vessel. I think I'll look into alternate props and research further to see if I can get any further gain from the 18hpXD.

Thanks again!

There is a huge amount of information available to you.-----Use ----google-----But the same props will often fit from a 50 hp to a 140 hp motor.

Right, Racer. The prop alternatives are almost endless. Brendan, you have to determine your load and desired operational parameters to keep that 18+ in its sweet spot for RPM. The standard 25 prop might work just fine if your not loading the boat too much. I have dozens of props here to fit on that motor as I am a prop and aluminum welder too. My 25 XD came with a pretty aggressive prop. Once I mate it with the boat, it might be more than I want, as I'm usually freighting which leads me to less pitch and diameter.

Back