Logo

Advice needed: 2005 mercury optimax 200

87point2psi

Hi all,
I've aquired a 200 optimax from my brother in law. He's not much of a boat guy and bought this used engine for his pontoon boat, after realizing it was slightly overkill, he purchased a smaller 4 stroke...long story short..I ended up with this beast in my garage. "Apparently" it was a good running engine, however I got it without any wire harness or controls...just the engine.

First off I'm a boat guy, and have had many two stroke outboard, BUT..nothing newer than mid eighties...so this newer technology ecu controlled engines are way ahead of me now ,so I'm lost with it.

I'm a Volvo penta guy so really, I have no use at all for this engine.

I have ordered the correct wiring harness from Ebay with the round 8 pin and key switch and should be here in a few days. I DO NOT have the rectangle plug smart gauge harness yet.
My plan was to flash this engine up on the stand, confirm it runs, do compression check etc, and sell it off....but now I'm thinking this may not even be possible given I'll only have the one harness.

My questions for you guys in the know:
-Am I able to start this up with only the one harness or do I need the full smart guage setup before it will run?
-If I can't run it without spending a fortune first, is there a market for used parts for these things? I was thinking if I cant run it and prove it as a working engine that maybe I can dismantle it and get rid of it piece by piece.
Now that I have it in my garage, I've realized how large and space consuming it is, I just want to figure out a plan to get them out.
I appreciate any advice you mercury gurus might have to offer! Thanks in advance!

A Smartcraft gauge is not needed to run the engine. Should power up with the key switch harness. You will need a good battery with a mechanical connection (no jumper packs or cables)

FYI you cannot expect this engine to live running it on Pre Mixed fuel. You have to have the oil tank on the engine full if you are running it. DFI oil only from Quick Silver.

Okay! First do a compression test, all plugs out, with fully charged battery. Look for anything melted from previous overheating. Check for 7/16 to 1/2 inch spark. A nice blue/white snap. I could discuss oil, but won't. You only need the base wiring harness to function this motor. Its a real brute. I love them, however they are full of innovations that can fail, causing expensive problems. You have to evaluate everything right away to see if its worth playing with. If I was out in BC I might be interested in it, but I'm too far away back in Minnesota.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I have something to work with now....exactly the type of info I was looking for...harness should be here in the next couple days...let's see if she runs!

Get the engine running, if it runs make sure its pumping water and let it get warm then do your compression/leak down test if you feel it is necessary . Especially if Its been sitting for a while.

Good score. How is the prop and skeg? I have had to repair prop shafts on these from rock strikes. Seems the shafts are often bent with only a moderate strike. Takes about 6 tons to straighten. I love these motors, however. Not supposed to hit rocks anyway.

Figured I should post an update since it's been awhile.

Harness arrived..it fit...whew.

Decided to see if it would fire up...rolled it outside on the stand..hooked up the muffs....went through the priming procedure....hit the key and it fired up instantly...scared the crap outta me! Runs like a top! I let it run on the muffs for about 45 min- 1 hr... Did compression test and all cylinders we're right around 105 psi.. water pumps good. Seems like the engine is ok!
Revs up nice and crisp !
I put it for sale because I don't really have any use for it, no interest locally here so I might just break it down for parts and eBay them..as it's taking up a fair chunk of space in my garage.
When the engine was being loaded, it's skeg was broken off...a good chunk..there is still a good piece left but was thinking I would take it and have it welded back on...if I were using it myself, I probably wouldn't bother but since I'm trying to sell it,I should probably get that done. The bottom end shifts into forward and reverse nicely..and is working very well.
I didn't do a leakdown test...runs very well so didn't bother.
If anyone is looking for parts for your optimax,let me know...I'll be breaking it down next week.
Thanks for the help and advice!

Wow, wish you were closer. How much you want for it? Sounds like a beauty.

Last edited:
I asked 2500 (Canadian) for it, figured it must be worth that at least. What do you think it's worth? I see prices for them all over the map really, so there is actually more value in parting it out...but then a headache to be boxing and shipping things as they sell....which could take a while.

Wow, 2500 is a good price. I would NEVER parts out that motor. List it on eBay with local pickup only. If the skeg is repaired, repainted, cowling looks pretty, with controls. I would sell it here in Minnesota for 5000 installed with one year warranty.

That would be a great price to get alright....but I live in a "high boat per capita" area ,here on the coast there is a boat in every other driveway...so far after 2 weeks only 1 inquiry...also..I don't have the controls for it...
Ah well...it is what it is... we'll see what happens.

Optimax 5.jpgOptimax 6.jpgI can get controls here nice used ones for about 150 to 200, brand new 350. Need to get the lower unit looking like this Opti I did last fall. Really wished we lived closer.

Back