Logo

Help me decide.....2019 Mercury 20 hp or 2019 Yamaha 20 hp

bbush68

I am in the market for a new 20 hp outboard for a 14 foot jon boat. I have narrowed my engine choices down to Mercury and Yamaha mainly because of the number and proximity of dealers. Both motors will be 2019 models. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be more dependable and reliable. Is Mercury or Yamaha having any problems with their smaller outboards? Is one motor design better than the other? The big thing that I have found between the two are: Mercury decreased engine size in 2018 from a 351cc to a 333cc but added fuel injection. Yamaha still has a carb. Is the new engine size on the Mercury any less reliable or more prone to any problems? I do like the idea of fuel injection over a carb though. Thanks for any comments back.

Yamahas are good outboards, maybe #1, but I lean towards the Mercs. Have had both my self in 4 stroke version, but never a 20 FI. What is the price difference? Mercs are gonna be a tad more, I would guess.

Right, Pappy, all smaller Mercs are made by TMC, and I think OMC as Bombardier also cut a deal with Tohatsu (Japan). In the US many Tohatsu carried the Nissan name. I have a 40 hp 2 stroke here. Lower unit was run dry and froze up. Powerhead is beautiful. You can get any part for them on line and fix it yourself if your capable. Tohatsu with a Merc styling is every bit as good as a Yamaha. You may question me on this one, but I do believe that Tohatsu Japan is the largest outboard manufacturer in the world today. Its your call, in USA I know that Yamaha is more popular than Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercs. Maybe if you add the little OMC/BRP outboards, its gonna be close.

I just bought a little Yamaha.

If I wanted a "Tohatsu" I would have bought their own branded motor instead of the portable Merc which is only a Merc because of the decals - Tohatsu gives a better warranty (5 years vs 3) for the same motor and if you are looking at a remote version the Tohatsu comes with the control box included in the price.

I love my "real Merc's" but there is no such thing in the 25 horse and under current market anymore.

Back