Logo

Bearing Carrier installation

Dterry

Contributing Member
Hi all

Just finished up putting new oil seals on my prop shaft and a few other things. I'm installing the prop shaft and housing back into the lower unit and want to make sure that I don't damage the front/reverse and pinion gear's. I tested the forward and reverse gears by spinning the prop shaft and it sounds okay. The one thing I am unsure of is whether or not in reverse if the prop should spin in one direction freely or should it not move from left to right by hand.

Regards, Dan

Hi Dan, what year and horsepower is it? I weld skegs and all aluminum parts. I'm often opening these lower units and replacing seals as well. So motors will "ratchet" in forward but not in reverse. Reason for that is if the motor should suddenly stall at fast forward speeds, it won't stress/adversely affect the lower unit, tilt/trim, driveshaft, etc. You get the idea. But in reverse we are operating at low power/speed so the ratcheting action is not needed.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim guy for the explanation that makes a lot of sense. I have the service manual and put everything back together according to the manual with the shims that was previously used. Only thing i was concerned about is the reverse gear somehow not lining up correctly with the pinion but in saying that I was able to get the housing on without any stress. I am hoping to test it out this weekend that is if the river isn't completely frozen over!

Also do you have any lower unit parts for a 2006 25hp 3cyl fourstroke? I am also looking for a starter and possibly a trim/tilt setup.

Regards, Dan

Hi Dan, what year and horsepower is it? I weld skegs and all aluminum parts. I'm often opening these lower units and replacing seals as well. So motors will "ratchet" in forward but not in reverse. Reason for that is if the motor should suddenly stall at fast forward speeds, it won't stress/adversely affect the lower unit, tilt/trim, driveshaft, etc. You get the idea. But in reverse we are operating at low power/speed so the ratcheting action is not needed.

Great, let us know. When they tighten or assemble in without binding or resistance, it of course, usually means all is good. I will have you try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Mike or Dan can maybe help you out. My collection of parts is mostly 2 stroke and pre 1990. Tim's Outboard phone # is: 218 682-2331.

Thanks for your help! This website has a been a huge resource for those that want to learn how to fix things and do it correctly without harming themselves or their pockets!

Thanks Tim and fellow DIYr's for your knowledge.

Dan

Great, let us know. When they tighten or assemble in without binding or resistance, it of course, usually means all is good. I will have you try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Mike or Dan can maybe help you out. My collection of parts is mostly 2 stroke and pre 1990. Tim's Outboard phone # is: 218 682-2331.

Back