Logo

need part # for this volvo 280 model bushing

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
steering real bad and ordered a bushing but it just doesnt fit..

is there a part number for this part? fyi the plastic bushing that goes between the helmet and this round brass head.or is therw a diy from a hardware store or something..

d3ee8fb6-7df8-4950-ad5d-787a449fd646.jpg

During this year/model range, you will see several styles of helmet pins and helmets.

You will see the single pin in several thread sizes.

You will see the single pin helmet that incorporates the hemispherical shaped collar that nests into a special bushing within the helmet. (yours appears to be this style)
By the way...... the hemispherical shaped collar theoretically remains within the helmet bushing!

You will also see the double bolt pin that requires a matching helmet.

All that said, you have an early 280 transmission.
It is likely that your best bet will be to replace the helmet with one that uses the single helmet pin that does NOT require that style bushing.

I still have quite a few Volvo Penta parts, and I do have helmets if interested.

Attachments

• Volvo Penta helmet and pin.jpg
    Volvo Penta helmet and pin.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 47
During this year/model range, you will see several styles of helmet pins and helmets.

You will see the single pin in several thread sizes.

You will see the single pin helmet that incorporates the hemispherical shaped collar that nests into a special bushing within the helmet. (yours appears to be this style)
By the way...... the hemispherical shaped collar theoretically remains within the helmet bushing!

You will also see the double bolt pin that requires a matching helmet.

All that said, you have an early 280 transmission.
It is likely that your best bet will be to replace the helmet with one that uses the single helmet pin that does NOT require that style bushing.

I still have quite a few Volvo Penta parts, and I do have helmets if interested.

Hi ric thanks for replying, yes its been impossible to source something online- I found and matched a thick wall nylon bushing from the hardware store that was a real tight fit but popped into place - seems like it will do the job for 89c! Steering play only about 1 inch on drive now.. and its not going anywhere soon - locked in place by the helmet.

Steering play only about 1 inch on drive now..

Also look at the collar steering fork shaft bushings........ they too can go bad causing excessive steering slop/play.

Attachments

• volvo penta collar steering fork bushings.jpg
    volvo penta collar steering fork bushings.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Volvo Penta collar steering fork bushing location.jpg
    Volvo Penta collar steering fork bushing location.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 42
ric thanks - yes the rest seems pretty tight and firm, only the helmet seemed very sloppy - there must have been something in there, not just the brass head and the helmet.. i did find a small plastic black ring on the boat later that showed either a designed groove for the ball to roll in or it was just worn -

either way i gratefully the sizes are standard, helmet hole ID was 1-1/4 iirc.. cant remember ball OD.. a copper pipe cap fit PERFECTLY inside the helmet, with a carbide bit some very light removal inside would have made for a perfect fit too.. it would also have to be cut down to about 3/8 to 1/2" and checked with trim/tilt for interference / etc-

anyway - the plastic job i put in seems to hold well. will test it in the water some time-

ric thanks - yes the rest seems pretty tight and firm, only the helmet seemed very sloppy - there must have been something in there, not just the brass head and the helmet..
Yes, there were a few years when the hemispherical bushing was used along with the corresponding plastic unit.
The helmet for that set-up was unique.

i did find a small plastic black ring on the boat later that showed either a designed groove for the ball to roll in or it was just worn -
I doubt that you can find a replacement..... but look on e-Bay.

either way i gratefully the sizes are standard, helmet hole ID was 1-1/4 iirc.. cant remember ball OD.. a copper pipe cap fit PERFECTLY inside the helmet, with a carbide bit some very light removal inside would have made for a perfect fit too.. it would also have to be cut down to about 3/8 to 1/2" and checked with trim/tilt for interference / etc-
I would simply replace the helmet with the other style. Then find a helmet pin that fits.

anyway - the plastic job i put in seems to hold well. will test it in the water some time-

Back