Logo

50 hp force power pack

hey everyone. I've been having some issues with one of my power pack on my motor. there is only 1 getting spark. does anyone have 1 of these power pack used that you could sell to me or donate? they are very hard to find . please let me know. thanks in advance

the part # F658475 C-D, COIL ASSEMBLY

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190109-074433_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190109-074433_eBay.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 63
CDI outboardignition.com eBay
All have the part you need.
Almost all over $200
eBay has a used one for 160$
You try swapping them around to see if that makes the bad one work?(had to ask)

hey guys thanks for the heads up. jerry i have not yet swapped them around yet because the weather has been crazy lately here in north Carolina . i eill give an update as soon as i do. i saw that 1 on ebay but its a little pricey. was hoping someone have 1 laying around. thanks

Yea the weathers been ugly EVERYWHERE!!
Do the swap and see if that makes a difference.
outboardignition.com has test procedures for testing the ignition system on your motor.

When you ask for help? always include the year and serial# , makes it easier to help if
we know what were working on.

Call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN 218 682-2331.....talk with Dan or Mike, you might get lucky......I might have one here but would take me too much to try and find it. I bought out a shed of used outboard parts at an auction where the owner died.....lung cancer, went to his brain. I still haven't organized that 2 truckloads of parts. He worked on older stuff, including Force. Darn good mechanic, but moderate to heavy smoker. 55 years old. He was well respected in the Duluth area.

Ouch, Jim. For this boater, it is out of reach I think. Hope Tim has one. If not Twin Cities Outboard at 952 496-1951 or Cory at Outb'd Recyclers 952 894-4888. Sold a lot of Force motors up here in Minnesota, they were popular.

hey tim i will call that number and hope that i get lucky . thanks for trying to locate me thanks for that link u sent me jim. i did find tjose on ebay but thay are really pricey . i wanted to get a good used 1 because am not 100% sure if its a bad pack why am not getting any spark from it. i would hate to spend all that much on a pack then it turned out to be something else.

hey jerry i will on friday. its been cold here in the 20's and teens. i dont get home till late in the evenings so by then its dark. i will follow up

ok everyone. so i went to do the swap like jerry suggested and found out that the green/white wire from the trigger that was suppose to go to the green wire from coil#2 was not hooked up. i connected it and of course grounded it well . when i turned the key to the on position it didnt make any noise nor tried to start. all i see was smoke comung from the power pack so i turned it off and disconnected the pack. there is liquid oozing from it and a hole seem to be in it. this is not the first time it smokes up. i think its faulty why its doing that. i checked all wires again and grounded it and this time the motor turned over and started but only #1 coil has spark just like at first. help plz

Powerpack should never have 12 volts from the battery applied I think.-----Do you have a wiring diagram / manual to help you ?

there is no 12v from the battery vonnected to the power pack. i think something is wronginside it because it is puffy and deformed. do u think the wires inside is melted and shorting out?

The pack gets voltage from an alternator.....so to speak......and should get NO voltage when the motor is not cranking.....there is a wiring mix up, or short and you need to replace the pack too. Tim's can likely print you a wiring schematic if you can't find one. Did they have a used pack for you? Did you swap packs and burn up both of them now? OUCH!

Last edited:
i will try and call back tomorrow. i did but ut was a few minutes after 5 today and they were already closed. tomorrow u will be available to call. i will ask uf he have a wirung diagram also . i need to get a repair manual for my motor. (force 50 hp 1988)

One of my good customers has a Force 50, mint. I will see where he got his repair manual, will call him now.....he sold the boat to another friend and will text me his number, but didn't remember a service manual. It is in the boat if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
ok cool. i just read a forum and a guy had the same issue that am having. his is also a force 50 hp. his thinks his ignition was shorting out thus allowing viltage to go through ti the components and frying them. he said he replaced both power packs, stator and ignition switch and now his boat runs like new. i also failed to mention that when the power pack smoked earlier today there was no click or sound from the motor when i tried to start it, only the choke worked when i push the key to choke. when i tried to start it it was as if there was no battery connected to the motor. it did nothing at that point. i feel that there is something shorting out

Last edited:
i will swap it today. i ran out of daylight yesterday. will let Y'ALL know in a lil while. so if a pack is dead will it still smoke ? is there coils inside shorting?

I wouldn't swap the good one to the bad cylinder, pal. Also, the one that is melted should not be tried now either. It could damage the alternator/stator/exciter coil......whatever you wish to call it. You might need to buy 2 packs then plus stator. Take your multimeter and check for 12 volts getting into the melted pack through its original wiring.

Last edited:
hey guys so i did the swap . on cylinder #2 was where the bad pack was. i swapped the wires on both cylinders and also the plug wires going to the plugs. there is no spark going to #1 cylinder which was working with the good pack , and now on the cylinder that had the bad pack itd now firing right up with the pack that was still good. so i think that concludes that it was the power pack that we suspected was the issue. wat u all think?

Good deal, so it was an internal problem with the pack, but that doesn't explain why it was melting with the key in just the ON position. Will the same problem soon occur again? Imput from Jerry requested.

i hope not. i figured that if something was letting voltage through it would probably start melting the other pack that i hooked up on that cylinder but nothing happened it started fine

He stated that he hooked up a green lead that was just laying around and the pack started smoking?
There's a blocking diode in the packs, it supposed to stop cross flow electricity.
Sounds like the diode might have gone bad??

These wiring problems are so hard to diagnose when you can't see/touch the motor :(

yes while i was about to do the swap i found the green wire laying between other wires . mark u thought that the pack had already twice before i even found the green wire thats why i mentioned in an earlier post that its not the first time it smoked prior to the swap. that same green wire was now connected to the good pack and it works fine

So okay then, I have replaced these packs but don't remember one trying to melt or smoke. So does that green wire show 12 volts to ground when key is on?

hey jerry i will test the green/white wire coming from the trigger while key in on position for 12v.the inly thing i found when i unbolt the bad power pack was kinked wires from the pack squeeze up on a bolt on the body of the motor

Back