Logo

2006 Yamaha 150 electrical jumper question

Richard Guess

Hello,
I have dual Yam 150s. Port side is counter rotating. When I had the engine covers off the other day I noticed there is a 3-pin electrical jumper on the right front side of the engines. What disturbs me is that the port engine has a plug inserted in this jumper and the starboard engine doesn't. I finally found the plug for the starboard engine resting in the bottom of the engine cowling. Both engines seem to be running fine. I have the jumper circled in the pic. I appreciate any help/advice. Rich

Jumper1.jpg

What advice are you seeking?

No reason to be disturbed.

Why not simply install the cap that was inadvertently not reinstalled?

I forgot to close my gas cap door one time on my truck. Someone pointed it out. I closed the door.

Well, I was wondering what the plug is used for, and if there's a reason only one is installed. I prefer to not plug in electrical jumpers if I don't know what they do. Since both engines seem to be running fine I'll just leave the starboard jumper off until someone who actually knows what it's for can answer my question. And to assume that installing an electrical jumper is in the same league as closing a gas cap is pretty naive...but thanks for your time.

The jumper plug is there for a reason. It came from the factory with a nylon lanyard to prevent it from being lost. Many forget to reattach the jumper cap. The motor may run just fine without be installed. But it is supposed to be installed.

Attach it or not. Your call.

I do realize the plug is there for a reason, I'm just trying to find out what that reason is. In my experience manufacturers put a plug in place because in some instances the plug won't be used. If the electrical connections were supposed to always be in contact then why have a removable plug. It would make more sense to have continuous wiring to lessen the chance of corrosion, or in my case, the plug falling out.

The cap covers the diagnostic port. To which an interface cable is attached so that engine data can be seen on a PC running Yamaha software.. The cap protects the pins within the port when the port is not being used. The cap includes a jumper wire to connect two of the pins together when the port is not being used.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me, and I apologize for getting a little short with you in my previous emails.

Back