Logo

1988 Johnson 8-hp (Belgium) mounting bracket problem

Licn2chill

I have the above outboard motor I use as a kicker. The problem is that the motor won't lock down. I checked and found that the small cable that lifts the locking bracket doesn't engage. I had a repair done to fix this problem a few years ago but it fiddid take and the repairman is out if budinbus ( go figure), I ordered a parts diagram but can't make heads or tails out of it. Does anyone have any idea how to get this fixed without going through all the expenses again?

I am a bit puzzled because this is almost exactly the same as tilt lock mechanism as I have on my '84 6hp ( except that is a Yachtwin and therefore does not have the shallow water drive option).

I do not understand your reference to "the small cable" . There is a link rod between the tilt lock control and the lock lever. #26 in the parts diagram

You can view the parts diagram on this site at http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...8RCCS&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Midsection

Make sure all parts are present, and operate freely. Lubricate regularly.

I have taken some photos

The first two show the lock mechanism in the un-locked and locked positions repectively when the motor is tilted

The second two show the same with the motor lowered and the lock engaging with the tilt pin # 23

A final picture shows the tilt lock control knob which turns clockwise to the lock position and counterclockwise for the unlocked position.

A final picture shows the tilt lock control knob which turns clockwise to the lock position and counterclockwise for the unlocked position.

zkrij8.jpg

25rhxmp.jpg

2cafjk.jpg

ff21qs.jpg

25g4d9i.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that's exactly like my 8 hp LS, Vic. It has the rod, no cable. That flipper that rotates was broken when I got mine, but was able to repair it with JB Weld. Mine is an 87.

Back