Logo

2004 Mercury 200 hp SW Carb - Flywheel and Stator Question

JJ in Tampa Bay

Hi all -

Lots of good info here and I am probably confirming what I already know, but I have a 2004 carbed 200 HP Merc and it is hard starting, plugs foul quick, tach bounces around and recently dropped of plane on me last time out. Carb is cleaned and new fuel pump. I already replaced the rectifiers but tach is still bouncy and sometimes non-responsive. I did a quick bench test on the stator and I am getting 223 ohms on the ignition circuit (specs state 380-430 ohms) and 0.8 ohms on each charge circuit (specs state 0.18 - 0.45 ohms). Do my readings lead you to believe that I am getting a weak spark therefore plugs are fouling quicker than a normal 2 cycle engine? Also would the slightly higher resistance cause the tach issue? I hate to throw parts at it that are not needed, but I think it is time for a new stator. - Thoughts?

Secondly, the flywheel, the stainless retaining ring has come loose at the ends. I think this occasionally hits the stator and makes a horrific sound (at least I hope that is whre the sound is coming from or I have another issue). Is the retaining ring necessary or can I remove it completely without compromising engine performance/operation?

Thanks in advance!

JJ in Tampa Bay

2002 Proline 20 DC w/ Merc 200HP SW

Back