Logo

History Question - 1960's Volvo AQ100 Drive

GRG

Historical research question folks.

Realizing that Volvo Penta introduced the first AQ motor and drive combo in 1959, I have a question. In the decade of the 1960's, specifically 1963 to 1966, I am making the assumption that Volvo Penta operated on a calendar year for manufacturing date stamps. If that is accurate, is there any research available that shows if a Volvo PZNo. tag on the outdrive would link it to a specific year of manufacture? Even more specifically (a super long shot) is there a way to match a PZNo. to a month of production?

Any insights appreciated. Doing some research on a limited 110/100 package considered a race offering of sorts.

GRG, I operated a small Volvo Penta repair biz for approx 24 years. I have very little experience with the 100 drive. I have vast experience with the 250 and on AQ series stern drives.

Back in the day, the PZNR characters preceded a set of numbers. These numbers indicated the drive model, the serial number and the final (or over-all) gear reduction, etc.

My suggestion:
Unless you have a restoration reason for using/repairing a 100 stern drive, I would find a later AQ series stern drive and install it.
In other words..... I would not waste one dime nor two minutes of my valuable time messing around with a 100 drive.

GRG, I operated a small Volvo Penta repair biz for approx 24 years. I have very little experience with the 100 drive. I have vast experience with the 250 and on AQ series stern drives.

Back in the day, the PZNR characters preceded a set of numbers. These numbers indicated the drive model, the serial number and the final (or over-all) gear reduction, etc.

My suggestion:
Unless you have a restoration reason for using/repairing a 100 stern drive, I would find a later AQ series stern drive and install it.
In other words..... I would not waste one dime nor two minutes of my valuable time messing around with a 100 drive.

Thanks for the reply. There is no intention of using the original 100 outdrive. My needs revolve around the history of the drive in a specific race application. I have narrowed the outdrive down to four possible years, 63, 64, 65, 66, and now would like to narrow it further (if possible) to a specific year of manufacture. The PZNR is intact on this drive so I will be getting it. If you know anyone or way to decode a vintage AQ100 based on that PZNR it would be a great help. I also know for a fact that the drive was attached back then to a gas 110 engine with dual carbs but the engine itself is long gone. Again, thanks for the reply.

Let me ask you a question based on your years of experience. When Volvo Penta back then was making the early AQ packages, did they run on a January 1 through December 31 build year, or was it an off calender approach for build year like many cars?

Last edited:
Back