Logo

Exhaust manifold for Volvo Penta AQ165 and AQ170

David Berglund

Hi!

In Sweden where I live, we have suffered from the above mentioned exhaust manifold being obsolete both from OEM and after market producers. Popular motors become impossible to maintain operational.

As a result I’ve designed a stainless welded manifold that I have now had some local appreciation for.

In one way this could be considered an advertisement but I found no rules against that, sorry if I overstepped.

But I also would like to let fellow boat owners know that there is a possibility to source these very fine pieces of craftsmanship from now on, to keep his engine running.

I wasn’t able to upload pictures, but I can send by email.

Contact me by PM if interested, or write any questions in this thread.

Regards
David from Sweden

Managed to upload pictures while on the computer instead of the phone. :)

Attachments

• 20190120_104107155_iOS.jpg
    20190120_104107155_iOS.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 140
David, what you have designed and have created is excellent. It looks like you have done a very nice job! I hope that you are able to market it.

Please note that the Volvo Penta in-line six cylinder engine has pretty much run its course since it’s introduction in/around 1973.
By around 1978/1979 it was no longer being used..... at least here in the US.

Last edited:
Thank you for those kind words. :)

I agree that it is almost gone now, and perhaps it is in US. That is also the reason for the Chinese and also Canadian aftermarket products being canceled.

However in Sweden these motor’s where fitted in a large variety of boats and also some other military water cooled systems, why there were a lot of them sold. And with their silk smooth running and nice sound they are much appreciated and many people here try their best to keep them running.

We will see if awareness of this possibility will generate any sails in US or not, but at least now you know it is available. :)

You may want to try these guys as well https://www.freshwatervolvopentaparts.com/

Thank you Dieter. Appreciate the link.
Had a look there, valuable site to know, but no AQ170 exhaust manifolds. Left them a message.

There is a local marine engineering shop thats williing to manufacture a unit for me. Having just again overhauled the engine, what a tragedy to discover the exgaust manifold is broken inside, all along causing all the hassles with engine failure. I have such a high regard for volvo and penta, but sad that theres no assistance from them for this. Even a design diagram to make one up will help 1000 fold.

Thank you
Hugo

Hi, I am after a manifold (I think) for a VM 2.5 turbo diesel engine 1996 model 94 HP. The mechanic threw the old part out before sourcing a replacement. It is the part that goes between the turbo outlet and the exhaust pipe, before the plastic cooling containers .Pic is where it attaches. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciatedpart.jpg

Hi, I am after a manifold (I think) for a VM 2.5 turbo diesel engine 1996 model 94 HP. The mechanic threw the old part out before sourcing a replacement. It is the part that goes between the turbo outlet and the exhaust pipe, before the plastic cooling containers .Pic is where it attaches. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciatedView attachment 26231

you should start a new topic vs confusing this one with different engines. Try fresh water volvo parts or lookin parts listings on this site click on upper left corner boat engine parts

Thank you Dieter. Appreciate the link.
Had a look there, valuable site to know, but no AQ170 exhaust manifolds. Left them a message.

There is a local marine engineering shop thats williing to manufacture a unit for me. Having just again overhauled the engine, what a tragedy to discover the exgaust manifold is broken inside, all along causing all the hassles with engine failure. I have such a high regard for volvo and penta, but sad that theres no assistance from them for this. Even a design diagram to make one up will help 1000 fold.

Thank you
Hugo

the problem is these are getting to be obsolete given how long these have been out of production. If the aftermarket doesnt offer them anymore there must be almost no demand. You are left scrounging for used or NOS. If the hull is in good shape and you like the boat might be worth a repower. Find a good prop to pulley set up out of a newer junk boat... i know nit what you want to hear but something to think about if you want to keep it long term

thanks for the help (not)
Its pretty simple - If you want help dont hijack someone else thread with a question totally different engine that will confuse anyone answering about two different engine systems

post your question in a separate thread about your engine you might get an answer as i doubt an AQ170 exhaust manifold will help you, and maybe don't be a wise guy if you need help...

Good morning,

I have 1998 Chris Craft. I need two exhaust manifolds for my 5.7Gi engine. Any idea where I can find them for a good price? Thank you.

Good morning,

I have 1998 Chris Craft. I need two exhaust manifolds for my 5.7Gi engine. Any idea where I can find them for a good price? Thank you.
On our hosts site down this page you will see links to all 5.7 Gi engines not sure if yours is a Gi-a, -b etc . Click on your engine has parts they have available

other places to try are

Hi,
Did any of you reach David Berglund regarding his Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold for the AQ170?
I tried to PM him here...
Regards Kim

Back