Logo

1976 9.9 Evinrude points

nytebyte

Regular Contributor
I want to replace the points and condensers in my old 9.9. Do I need that timing tool that has the pointers? Cant I just use a feeler gauge when its on the set mark?

The timing tool is nothing but a " dummy flywheel " !!-----You can use your flywheel and the timing marks on it to do this procedure.-----Or just use the feelers.-------Those points last a long time so why the replacement ?----What is the motor doing / not doing ?

I like that answer! Just thought I would do it because of age. The motor looks almost new and I relpaced the waterpump and cleaned the carb also put a fuelpump kit in it (glad I did as the diaframs were cracked),changed lower unit oil,plugs. Winter boredom I guess so trying to get everything up to snuff before spring.

I havent pulled the flywheel yet to check them. Just cleaning them sounds like a good option. I hate to put to much into it but it is in good shape and good compression. That and I like the old two strokes, especially when you look at the prices of new motors. Spark has a good jump with my homemade spark tester so I probably shouldn't even mess with it. Long winters so I get bored

I have a 1976 15 Johnson up at my Remote NW Ontario Camp. Believe it or not, it still has the original points. Use it almost every season after I clean it off from that fox squirrel's winter stash he never ate. Still can't find where he is breaking in to my log shed. Outsmarts my dog every year, sits just out of reach and chatters. If anything happened to him I'd probably feel sad. I save my 12 gauge for the grouse.

This is a brilliant ignition system, why? The points are required to trigger a lower output coil than previous years. There is a weaker arc as the points operate. The resultant pulse goes to the next coil which kicks up the voltage to get your final spark. There is a longer life to these points as a result. At least it seems to me.

That is not a good ignition system, that is a well known fact. Replace the points with Oem points and condensors. That is not an mprovement over the ignition it replaced. Go to leroys ramblings he has some really good info on the low tension magneto system. Especially about what spark plugs to use. I know there will be a debate about this. The points and condensors are not overly expensive. The condensors will be the weak spot every 74-76 9.9/15 I have owned has liked to chew up the condensors. A couple of other things to look for are, make sure there is not a lot of slop in the magneto/stator assembly. And check for play where the throttle attaches to the magneto plate. They had problems with bad machining of the parts. There are a few of those motors out there that run good but most are not great running motors. The factory tried selling new heads, complete carbs and new stator/magneto plates to help them run better. The 74-76 motors are the least desireable of those motors. The 77 and later motors are MUCH better.

Last edited:
I have had the newer 9.9's and 15's fail me with absolutely no warning.....always that pack. I have had to rely on the second motor to get back to camp. The subject motor here will never do that, you will get warning signs well in advance. The packs can fail over winter storage and I have experienced that on more than one occasion. To each his own.....points and condensers are solid engineering. Electronics involved with CDI spark are unpredictable. Hard to tolerate in an extremely remote location, its my life. "Been there done that"......? No not my expression...... "Am here...doing it".....that's MY words.

Good luck with your motor hopefully you got a good one. As far as points go they are a pain to change in the field. You need a flywheel puller, feeler gauge and a screwdriver. You also need a socket to get the flywheel nut off. A good set of points will cost you about $50 an aftermarket CDI will cost about $60. To change a cdi you need a 3/8 socket and a small screwdriver that can be kept in your tacklebox. Take out 2 bolts push out the pins in the connector and install the new one. About a 1/2 hr worth of work the.points will take over an hr.

Last edited:
You got a point there, Mr. Scott. I do keep a couple packs at the camp, along with enough tools to take care of normal stuff. Also keep a puller too. I get that points set OEM for 16 bucks each, so 2 × 16, here next day from Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Packs run 75 bucks from Tim.

Last edited:
The tune up kit on here - Marine Engines- 2 points and 2 condensers is only $28.31 for OEM Might be a good idea to have a spare set.

At the moment I have a 1978 15hp, a 1981 9.9, and 2 1976 9.9s and a 1974 9.9 parts motor that has the brown delrin ring for the plate on it that will go on this one if its needed. They all run great except the 9.9 I am tinkering on now hasnt been ran yet. Just a hobby for me as I just fix them up a bit and put them on old boats I have fixed up.

Sounds like me 45 years ago. Build on this and make a great business. Evolve into the newer stuff. Make friends of your customers, learn from guys like our group here. Good job, brah!

Not looking for a business-64 years young and just a hobby LOL. Nice thing is I always have to go out on the lakes to try them out or so I tell the wife. Lots of fishing that way. Mostly for the grandkids or friends when I am done with them.

Excellent, in my case, however, its my wife that really attacks the fishing. I like small and simple. My everyday boat is a 14 foot Lone Star with a 1954 Johnson. Just the 3 of us and Abby, the dog. Just love to get the old motors resurrected and running as sweet as a new Yamaha.

Back