Logo

TAMD73P wont' start, diagnosis and neutral lights won't come on

KalaKai

Looking for ideas on why one of my engines (TAMD73P) won't start. Ran fine yesterday, but today....
* turn key to 'on'
* press red active station button
* yellow diagnosis and green neutral lights do not come on and engine will not turn over when key turned to 'start'
* both lights are good, they come on when I start in 'limp mode'
* both stations in neutral (confirmed by looking at gearbox)
* moving shift lever back and forth moves lever on gearbox fine
* 12v power fine (can even start engine in 'limp' mode)
* tried moving shift lever back and forth to find neutral, but neutral light does not come on
* boat will go into forward, reverse, & neutral no problem when running in 'limp' mode

Anyone know where the neutral safety switch is and how to test it?
Any other ideas?

Thanks!

What sort of controls? Could the issue be in the 'station select' setup? If you have a 2nd station have you tried starting it with the 2nd station selected?

What sort of controls? Some have a relay in them that is activated when you push the station select switch and a bad relay will interrupt the start circuit. Have you tried manually applying 12v to the start circuit at the key switch to check for continuity and have you tried swapping the key switches between sides?

What sort of controls? Some have a relay in them that is activated when you push the station select switch and a bad relay will interrupt the start circuit. Have you tried manually applying 12v to the start circuit at the key switch to check for continuity and have you tried swapping the key switches between sides?

* I have a 'active station' button with 'diagnosis' & neutral' button/lights for each engine.
* once pressing the 'active station', diagnosis should light, then out, then green neutral lights up and the engine starts.
* currently, when I press 'active station', the diagnosis and neutral lights do not come on
* I think the key switch is OK since I can use it to start the engine in 'limp' mode. You do this by holding the neutral button/light while turning on the key. This allows the engine to start, but will not rev up at all. Allows to 'limp' in an emergency situation.
* all gauges and warning lights work on the panel

It seems like the ECU is not relaying the 'start' signal, but I don't know who to test for this

Back