Logo

2002 Mercury 150 Carb (saltwater) Spark Issues

aquanaut

New here but seem to spend most of my free time on here perusing threads for information. I've got an interesting one that I was hoping someone with more experience than I could shed some light on. I've got a 2002 Mercury 150 carb that I've been tinkering with to get running. I searched everywhere I could but couldnt seem to find anything.. if you do then great please pass the link on and let the bashing proceed.

Seems to be a number of issues with it. I picked it up with a great hull for a steal that I couldn't pass up. Plan was to trash the motor and repower but I'm still figuring out what to do for the new one. In the mean time, I figured I would see if I could get the Merc running to see if it was even salvageable. Heres what I knew when I started.

Hours unknown and supposedly one bad cylinder but the previous owner didn't actually compression test it (so how tf did he know?).

Since I got the boat Ive noticed a few things. There was no spark on any cylinder. The stator was replaced, one CDM was replaced, and the extra parts were left in the boxes in the boat along with two extra brand new CDMs. This all led me to think maybe the problem was just the lack of spark and not a bad cylinder. Since then I've repaired a short in the kill switch line. Also tested for spark with it disconnected which is how i ended up finding the short. That didn't solve the problem. Now after checking the system again, I have spark on one cylinder. Cylinder number 2 but not on any others. I tested the trigger but I'm not getting any resistance reading (could be my meter for all I know).

So I'm kind of stumped. I wouldn't mind getting this motor running until I have the new one ready to go on. Is this worth even trying for? And has anyone run into something like this before?

Back