Logo

1973 25hp evinrude pull start kill switch help

motiondave

Contributing Member
Hi people, Ive dug through the threads, and I may have missed it. I need to fix the kill switch wiring on my 1973 25hp evinrude pull start , and Im not sure where to wire it up please, I know I put one wire on a coil, but positive or negative wire of the coil, and one to an earth, would that be the motor casing?
would anyone have a sketch or wiring diagram making it clearer please .
Cheers for the help.
David Lane.

Does not matter.-----To stop the motor the 2 wires on the switch connect together.-----Wiring diagram can be found online.-------mastertechmarine-----Easy to find.

Hi people, Ive dug through the threads, and I may have missed it. I need to fix the kill switch wiring on my 1973 25hp evinrude pull start , and Im not sure where to wire it up please, I know I put one wire on a coil, but positive or negative wire of the coil, and one to an earth, would that be the motor casing?
would anyone have a sketch or wiring diagram making it clearer please .
Cheers for the help.
David Lane.

Dave, that is NOT correct. Kill switch wires both go to coils (one wire to each coil). Makes no difference which wire to which coil. No wire to ground/earth.

Does not matter.-----To stop the motor the 2 wires on the switch connect together.-----Wiring diagram can be found online.-------mastertechmarine-----Easy to find.

thanks but a google search only gives me dealers using this name
and I did do a search, and found nothing clear.

Dave, that is NOT correct. Kill switch wires both go to coils (one wire to each coil). Makes no difference which wire to which coil. No wire to ground/earth.

bugger, now im confused, hence asking if someone has a picture wiring diagram, Ive seen several answers.

I have the diagram, but can't post it (copyrighted). But I'm telling you the kill switch wires go to the coils as I previously said. Believe it or don't---your choice.

I have the diagram, but can't post it (copyrighted). But I'm telling you the kill switch wires go to the coils as I previously said. Believe it or don't---your choice.

Mate, I'm not doubting you one bit.i was hoping for a sketch or something.thats all.

Hang on.let me picture this. So I run a 2nd wire off each coil to a switch. So I'm shorting out both coils

Exactly. You are shorting them together. When switch is open, it will run. Close the switch, shorting them together, kills the spark and motor stops. That is the way OMC did all their two-cylinder (with magneto ignition) motors for umpteen years, back in "The Day".

Last edited:
If you want get into the subject deeper, there is a blue wire leading to each spark coil. The other ends of those wires lead to each end of a driver coil under the flywheel. Also connected to the ends of the driver coil are two sets of breaker points and two condensers. So, connecting the blue wires together with a closed kill switch shorts out not only the spark coils, but also the ends of the driver coil and both sets of points and condensers. No way in hades can it continue to run with all that stuff shorted together.

thanks for the help people I actually found it its a simple throttle cut out, I just had to adjust the idle so when I turned the handle to slow it stops. Piece of cake, motor runs great other wise.
cheers for the help people.

Heck, we all thought you were installing a "kill switch"---the kind that shuts the motor off so you don't get run over if you get pitched overboard.

Back