Logo

MFS20E remote conversion

Stev0

Hi

Wondering if someone can help with a query I have?

I am thinking about buying a new Tohatsu mfs20e which is manual start with tiller. Can I get a remote kit so I can use this outboard with the tiller but also on remotes? I recently had a 2 stroke Tohatsu M25C2 which I could do this with but would like to know if the new outboards can do this also.

Thanks for any help, Steve

Kind of. Depends on how far you want to go. To connect the throttle and shift cables, you need
3RS838800MREMOTE CONTROL FITTING ASSY$98.93

You could leave the tiller connected, but the throttle would be via the RC box.

Also, for remote steering, you need
3BA849050MDRAG LINK ASSY$118.79

You can also convert to electric start. In any event, you would also need an RC box for throttle and shift.

Kind of. Depends on how far you want to go. To connect the throttle and shift cables, you need
3RS838800MREMOTE CONTROL FITTING ASSY$98.93

You could leave the tiller connected, but the throttle would be via the RC box.

Also, for remote steering, you need
3BA849050MDRAG LINK ASSY$118.79

You can also convert to electric start. In any event, you would also need an RC box for throttle and shift.

Thanks for the info. I already have a RC box so would be looking at the remote fitting kit and drag link assy. That's great to know that it is definitely doable as I've had conflicting info from some UK suppliers.

Need to find out about the Mercury efi now as its a toss up between the two.

Thanks for the info. I already have a RC box so would be looking at the remote fitting kit and drag link assy. That's great to know that it is definitely doable as I've had conflicting info from some UK suppliers.

Need to find out about the Mercury efi now as its a toss up between the two.

Mercs 30 and down are actually rebadged Tohatsu outboards.

I know that Tohatsu make the lower powered Merc outboards but not sure if the remote fittings are the same, I'll check it out thanks.

Yes, standard Morse cables. Same power head, same kit. Just more expensive if you buy the Merc versions.

Last edited:
Hi there, been a while since been on the site, but hope someone can help me. I have a tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke mfs20e and tiller has been removed, I also have a tohatsu remote box but end of cables are bullets, I have matched each cable colour to colour but I have a blue cable from box spare. ENGINE turns over great on the key but will not fire. Its as if the kill cord has been pulled. Any ideas guys?

Verify the schematics in the Factory service manual. Your kill wire may be activated. I trust the stop clip is attached.

Back