Logo

2 stroke oil advice

whaler_warner

Contributing Member
Ive always used Quicksilver/Mercury branded oil but switched to a non-mainstream branded TCW3 rated oil for my M90A.

Searching the subject gives every opinion under the sun but do Tohatsu's respond better to top quality oil or will any TCW3 rated oil going to be fine? The stuff I have been using had good reviews and from a UK lubricants wholesaler and is 1/3 of the cost of Quicksilver. I used it the whole of last season and as far as I can tell it works fine!

Oil and lubrication in a 2 stroke is not well understood.----I believe that most folks do not know what happens to the oil once inside the engine.-------So use the best oil you can find as it will save you money in the long run.-----Priced an overhaul at a shop lately ?

So Racer, what is the best oil(s) for a 2 stroke in your opinion?
I know you've been inside of many outboard motors in your life so you have a front row seat to pass judgment on lube quality, I'd be interested to know.
I've always used the OMC oil since I mostly owned Johnson/Evinrude through the years, and never noticed any particular issue with nasty residue, but always keep an ear open for opinions and observations from those who made a living by opening these things up...

I guess the real question is, are all TCW3 certified oils equal? As with most people I get fed up with paying inflated figures for "marine" branded products, happy to pay extra when the quality is better but not if I am getting exactly the same product in a different container.

Oils can be custom blended to just meet the specification.-----Or they can be blended to exceed the requirements.--------You get what you pay for here.--------A lot of " marine stuff " is not really overpriced in my opinion.

A quart of good old SAE 30 in a 6 gallon tank is all I ever use.
Non-detergent SAE 30 was used in the 1960's. That ratio is about 25 to 1, so a lot richer than what is needed. Run TCW-3 for modern motors. If pre-mixing, a pint in a 6 gallon tank is 50:1, which is what modern 2-strokes need.

I guess the real question is, are all TCW3 certified oils equal? As with most people I get fed up with paying inflated figures for "marine" branded products, happy to pay extra when the quality is better but not if I am getting exactly the same product in a different container.

Any TCW-3 is OK. They must meet the specification. There are fancy synthetics, too. Mercury/quicksilver does not make oil; they sell labels for oil. Tohatsu has a super-synthetic for the TLDI motors, and I like it.
On the M90A, if running with the onboard oil mixer, any TCW-3 is fine. If pre-mixing for some reason, mix at 50 to 1.

Back