Logo

85 Mercruiser 140 gimbal bearing help smart tile

Rwb3000

I have a older model Mercruiser 140 does anybody know if the thick rubber gasket that comes in a gasket set to put lower unit together after Bellows and gimbal bearing change I have the flat paper gasket 2 o rings that go around the drive shaft o-ring goes around the water Outlet but don't know what to do with the heavy rubber gasket about 4 inches around

It goes inside the bellhousing a couple inches and seals off the round portion if the outdrive where the input shaft goes in just behind the u joints. Look inside the hole that the outdrive came out of should be glued in there.

it get glued in place not inserted in place or placed on the outdrive first. Bellows adhesive, 3M weatherstrip , contact cement

What's the chances it will stay put if no glue is used why don't the paper gasket keep any water from getting in the drive bellows

Zero chance it stays with out glue. I believe it is intended to keep any water that gets by shift shaft seal out of bellows

Zero chance it stays with out glue. I believe it is intended to keep any water that gets by shift shaft seal out of bellows

Partially correct,

If anything between the drive and the gimbal housing allows water in, that oring is intended to keep water out of the bellows thus the inside of the boat.

What I do is,

Push the oring into gimbal housing all the way so it sits flush against the surface where the bellows attaches.
Coat the oring generously with grease. Then when installing drive make sure you engage the drive shaft carefully (can be tricky and you have to either spin with your hand or with the prop, C'clockwise )and then when pushing in the drive try to make sure the ujoint assembly stays as straight as possible. This will increase the odds the oring will stay in place.

It does not always stay but you wont know until the next time you remove the drive to grease the ujoints/grease the drive shaft.

Back