Logo

4 stroke 9.8 Tohatsu water flow question

Hollyj

Hello,
I have a 2012 9.8hp Tohatsu (MFS9.8A3) on a boat on a mooring.
The water flow was very week or not coming out the tell tail at all during a short trip to give the motor a run a few days ago.
I had just replaced the impeller so I removed the thermostat and tested it in a hot cup of water and it opened up as it should. I reinstalled the thermostat and used a large syringe to pump hot fresh water back through the tell tail out let and started the engine.
Now the water is pissing out the tell tail at an incredible rate, way more than it ever has before even when the engine was new.
From my very limited knowledge I understand on some engines the tell tail is just a water take-off from the system and the remainder or the water circulates through the engine and out down through the leg.
I am concerned that I may have a blockage stopping some of the water flowing through the engine and out through the leg and instead forcing it all out the tell tail?
Can someone please tell me if my concerns are valid or not?

1. Never change only the impeller. Always do a complete WP kit. Same labor, pumps better, lasts longer, minimal additional parts cost.

2. The telltale only shows that the system is pressurized. It does not let a significant amount of water out. If it stops up, run the motor, and push a stiff wire into the telltale to free up whatever has it clogged.

3. Over 99% of the cooling water exits with the exhaust, and you don't see it. If concerned about an overheat, use an IR thermometer to see that the block is maybe 150F.

Back